SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

KStars/Ekos setup INDI drivers

Astrofriend

When moving over from Windows to Linux with Raspberry Pi4 computer it's really confusing for a Windows man. The KStars overview system works with Ekos and its INDI drivers.

Most problematic has been to get a GPS dongle to work with INDI drivers. With a lot of help from friends and INDI forum I have solved it. I have written it down with pictures how to do it in details.

Also the USB-Focus V3 have some problem with other devices "steal" the port. That problem is solved today.

All these instructions has been spread out on different projects I have done. Now I collected them at one page to get it easier to find them.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-kstars-raspberrypi4/12-project-kstars-raspberrypi4.html

I hope it can be of help, the Raspberry with KStars is really handsome and perfect when on battery out at dark places. Very low power demands.

Examples how I use it:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-ekos-sequencer/01-tutorial-ekos-sequencer.html

/Lars

• Like 1

Good job! I'm nearing the end of my second season with Kstars/Ekos on native Linux (Mint 20 on a HP EliteDesk 800) and I've never missed a single minute capture time! Featurerich and highly underrated. I've never had my hands on a Pi4, so I've been hesitant to run the whole Kstars/Ekos on my Pi's, my approach has been to use it as a INDI server only. Sounds like the small berry has grown up! Two questions: Do you have  the needed index-files for platesolving installed on the Pi's /home-directory, and do'es it work? Maybe not relevant, if you don't have a motorized mount. And two:  Can you transfer the images from your Pi4 to your laptop/desktop inside during capture? Either with Samba for Windoze or NFS if you use Linux? The Pi4 should have very decent transfer times on wifi if your router is up-to-date. This has been my major hickup when running the complete KStars suite on the Pi3. Bad connectivity, unless you stretch a cable. And if you fire up geeqie (a well-hidden secret) and view and sort the subs, it could stall. I see this could work, if I can empty the Pi into my laptop/desktop during or after the session, without fidling with memory cards or USB-disks.

Hi Ralle,

Yes I have all recomended index files stored on the Raspberry's SD card, it's a 32GB card. When I have the mount out on the balcony I remote control it from my Windows PC over the LAN. Works perfect and I can transfer the files, I use the software WinSCP at the PC to transfer the files. I control KStars through UltaraVNC installed on the PC.

When out on the field and on battery I control the KStars from my Android pad through WIFI. Not so easy without a keyboard, but most of it run by automatic, I prepare already at home which objects to catch.

/Lars

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 12:48, Astrofriend said:

I hope it can be of help, the Raspberry with KStars is really handsome and perfect when on battery out at dark places.

Nicely written Lars. I have been using Kstars/Ekos on RPi4 for sometime now and love it.

EDIT: In the Ekos Scheduler section you could also mention about creating an artificial horizon for use in your home so you can plan and work around obstructions surrounding your setup.

Edited by AstroMuni

Hi,

I haven't setup an artificial horizon yet. From my balcone the view is very limited. From AZ 20 to 90 and Alt from 25 to 50. When I take the car out to the darkness it could be different places. So I haven't so much need of it and no experience either because of that. But it can be changes in the future, who knows.

For the moment I spend a lot of time to understand the INDI drivers and EQMOD, I have to do some changes to it. I want to set Custom dRA, dDEC speeds to follow comets, that's doesn't work. The other is that my mount is rebuilt with different gears and have a different gear ratio. That's not something I can setup in EQMOD INDI. I have that in another thread or on my homepage.

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend