Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where should I start?

Well with the nice people at FLO having a sale I decided to pick up the OmniXLT 150 while I could afford it.

It'll make a nice primary scope for home other than the 80ED refractor I have, as its really to big for me to handle elsewhere without help.

Anywho getting sidetracked, was gonna ask where I should start with this scope? Anyone got any views that they think show it off? or something I should see through it?

EDIT: I suppose I should say I really just look at the moon & a few of the more easily identifiable constellations atm with the 80ED. Thats more down to been lazy about learning where everything is tho, I much more a random kind of person in that I just look around to see whats out there rather than picking at something specific to view

Well the 6"xlt f5 scope is a very useful instrument, and will provide you with some superb views of many types of object. The moon is in the sky now, though rather well lit, so a lot of the deep sky stuff will not reveal too easily.

Lots of open and globular clusters available, together with a number of galaxies, so if you can put up with a bright moon, there is plenty available for you.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

Ron.:)

Edit. If you wish to get to know the sky better, and find objects deliberately, rather than pan about hoping to find something, get the book "Turn Left at Orion" It has proved a very popular guide for lots of beginners.

A few people have said i ought to get that book, hmm something to think about when I have spare cash once again.

Currently using stellarium but as I suck at identifying things I tend to lose my way easy.

You could also get yourself a Planisphere. This is a device that can be very useful for Identifying the night sky. It is a replica of what is in your sky at a particular time in a particular month. Having adjusted it for the time and date and month, whilst indoors, you hold above your head and look up. Try to remember where particular bright stars are located on the Planisphere, then go outside and Identify them.

You need to persevere, and soon it will teach you read the sky like a veteran. The key, is fortidude and stickability. You have to continue to use it to make the progress. It does work.

Ron.:)

Wow!

So my scope arrived today, damn am I impressed, its a nice bit of kit.

Bigger that I thought it would be & a fair bit of weight too, good job I'll always have help at hand for setting it up (as it'll be my home only scope) otherwise my poor back & hips would keel over faster than a lead ballon in water.

Which is your best observing direction?

If you already have Stellarium, have a look around Ursa Major to get an idea of its layout. There's a couple of galaxies worth looking for - M81 & M82 - and a very good double star - Mizar and Alcor (I think that's how they're spelt)

Good luck.. and don't forget to report back!

I found that you waste alot of time just panning around hoping an object jumps into view.

You need a list of available objects and work through them.

Most important though is to learn where these objects are. So a red torch and a planesphere is a good way to go.

If you had an interview in Coventry you wouldn't just jump in your car and drive off without knowing your way first. Same with stargazing.

"Turn Left at Orion" is a usefull book for planning a nights observing, its divided roughly into the four seasons and puts each target in the appropriate season depending on when in the year its at its best for viewing, but many of the objects are viewable to some extent for a large part of the year.

Poor weather is a good time to have a read through Turn Left....

Really would recommend this book. Planisphere, as mentioned above also good. You can use these along with Stellarium to plan your viewing.

Good things come to those who wait...

This scope is the latest version of my 6" newt. You can see anything in it, depending on sky conditions. I saw Neptune in mine last fall to complete my planets, lots of clusters and galaxies and some doubles. You will enjoy this scope. :)

Hey Folks, Would like to thank everyone for their advice. I now have a planisphere & my laptop is fully charged so stellarium is good to go.

Found out that my best direction from the backgarden is towards the north. SE/S/SW are obscured by my house & the neighbours houses. Might need to find a dak skies site in south staffordshire, if anyone knows of any.

Looks like tonight is the night, should get a nice clear night according to available weather data & plain old looking out the window.

Will let you know how it goes

Archived