NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scopes on planes

chubster1302

I used to regularly take mid sized telescopes and big binoculars on planes. As. long as it fits within the carry on sizes (and sometimes weight limit too), the security people accept it along the lines of a camera telephoto. They have never questioned it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chubster1302 said:

Has anyone taken a William Optics zs73 or similar sized equipment on a plane. 

Not actually got the scope yet,,  so don't even knowbots packed size, just planning ahead 🤔

That would be no problem for carry on baggage. I’ve taken a similar sized TS72mm as carry on no problem, even up to 100mm is possible if it packs down short enough.

• Like 1

Just a caution to anyone reading.
Weight limits and size limits do vary significantly between airlines - check carefully before departure.

Some airlines don't make a fuss, others try to grab your money if you are a millimetre oversize or a gram over weight.

Also print a copy of their luggage rules and have it in your pocket.
I have (more than once) had to argue with check in staff who have relented only after having their own rules presented to them.

Finally. When your scope raises security eyebrows and they want to look in your bag, handle everything yourself where possible.
The last thing you want is a tube dropped on a table top, or fingerprints on the objective.
Some security staff are careful, others less so.

HTH, David.

• Like 1