Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/20222_E3 (ZTF) and (pos) C/2022 U2 (Atlas)

After being clouded out earlier in the evening the skies began to clear around 21:00 last night.

I set out to try and capture both comets as they past each other. Early attempts (and possibly this one!) guiding on star background didn't reveal anything so I started guiding on C2022 E3 (ZTF) with 500 second subs. Below are two individual subs and a combination of the two in an effort to show position changes. Times are annotated for each image and in the combined frame I'ved added two arrows to show (what I think) is the motion of Atlas between the two sub exposures. Added a starless image which shows a misty blue blur...

The moon really killed any contrast while imaging but hopefully processing has lifted things enough?

Images captured and guided with Astroart 8.0 using an Altair Astro 102mm Ascent Ed refractor and an Altair 26C @ -10°C. Processing in PI & PS CS3.

Comments welcome.

2x500s subs_anno.png

c2022_e3x5001002_clone_RGB_SuperPixel_ABE.png

c2022E31108_clone_RGB_SuperPixel_ABE.png

c2022_e3x5001002__Starless.png

Edited by fwm891
Starless image added
  • Like 10

A good result given the circumstances.

With such large relative motions and mag difference it was a hard task. Even if Atlas had been much brighter it would have been difficult to render a good image of both comets without some kind of composite technique.

Perhaps stacking on Atlas and using the "stars and comet" option in DSS or similar, then doing the same with ZTF, giving two images one with each of the two comets and sharp stars. Then somehow stitch them together?