SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leaving scope set up, polar aligned, outside over night?

Moonshed

I have a garden shed that I use exclusively for storing my scope and all the gear. I only have to lift it out onto the concrete pad and place the tripod legs in the small holes in order for it to be good enough PA for visual observing. For astrophotography I of course have to PA, using the PoleMaster. 

What I want to know is if it is possible to cover the scope with some suitable material that would keep it dry, security is not a problem. It would be so helpful if I could do this as I am 77 years old and have Advanced Prostate Cancer that leaves me very tired and weak.  It would save me having to lift it out, even stripped down I find it heavy, re-attaching everything and doing all the set up procedures.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

I leave my scope out all night doing imaging runs on its own but only if the forecast is impeccably dry! It's a big scope and not easy to cover in a weather proof fashion.

There are the purpose made covers that get mostly good reviews. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telegizmos-telescope-covers.html

I might give it a go myself some day. I'm fairly able bodied but struggle with my heavy scope. I'd be inclined to leave my dew heaters going just to prevent condensation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I leave my scope out all night doing imaging runs on its own but only if the forecast is impeccably dry! It's a big scope and not easy to cover in a weather proof fashion.

There are the purpose made covers that get mostly good reviews. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telegizmos-telescope-covers.html

I might give it a go myself some day. I'm fairly able bodied but struggle with my heavy scope. I'd be inclined to leave my dew heaters going just to prevent condensation. 

Thanks for the info. The link looks interesting and the covers on sale look ideal for my purpose, I will look into more but think they will do the trick.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

+1 for the tg cover. I bought a very large cover, far too big for purpose but I wanted the cover to more of less cover everything down to the floor which worked a treat. One thing though is that the telescope could sweat under the cover, so I used a large plastic builders bucket over the telescope which provided an air gap and subsequently no more sweating. The only irritating thing about this is being somewhat clumsy, I nearly always managed to hit the finder with the bucket.

Under the cover and bucket, I would be confident in saying the mount can stay out all year round but in my case, I only left the telescope out when I planned to use it.

I have now upgraded with a sentry box type arrangement over the lot and being fortunate enough to be able to have power at the mount 24/7 I leave the dew heaters on removing the need for the bucket and I use a smaller tg cover. Hope it helps. 

• Like 1

I went for a motorbike clamshell cover similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/StormProtector®-Lockable-Motorcycle-Shelter-Quenched/dp/B095WYQ9KP/ref=sr_1_47?crid=3GMIH97ZNYL78&keywords=motorbike+cover&qid=1675786121&sprefix=motorbike+%2Caps%2C715&sr=8-47. My scope with all its peripherals have been outside for 18 months through gales, intense thunderstorms and withering sunshine. As the cover doesn't touch the scope any overnight dew can evaporate away. When its time for business I just open up and switch on.

• Like 3

Those Telegizmos look like the solution. The pain of having to carry my SCT from the garage to the patio and set up every time was the inspiration for my roll off roof build.

And at the end of last year I finished radiotherapy for stage 3 prostate cancer. So I'm with you on the feeling tired thing! 

I hope you're feeling good enough to get some quality astro viewing and astrophotography in.

Regards

Graeme

• Like 1

I have a TG 365 cover over one of my rigs (The other is in an obsy) and find it very good.

A couple of points though.

It's worth getting some rope to tie round the cover in such a way as to prevent it from blowing off in high wind. Been there a couple of time, in one case I had to go out early in the morning in just my dressing gown to rescue a soaked telescope after the cover blew off in a storm.

And if you can run a mains lead to the mount arrange an electric pet bed to go under the cover to provide gentle warmth that will keep condensation off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

I have a TG 365 cover over one of my rigs (The other is in an obsy) and find it very good.

A couple of points though.

It's worth getting some rope to tie round the cover in such a way as to prevent it from blowing off in high wind. Been there a couple of time, in one case I had to go out early in the morning in just my dressing gown to rescue a soaked telescope after the cover blew off in a storm.

And if you can run a mains lead to the mount arrange an electric pet bed to go under the cover to provide gentle warmth that will keep condensation off.

Thanks, the electric pet bed sounds a great idea, alternatively I could maybe get some heating tape and wind it around the scope. I will have to look into it and thanks for the idea.

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

Those Telegizmos look like the solution. The pain of having to carry my SCT from the garage to the patio and set up every time was the inspiration for my roll off roof build.

And at the end of last year I finished radiotherapy for stage 3 prostate cancer. So I'm with you on the feeling tired thing! 

I hope you're feeling good enough to get some quality astro viewing and astrophotography in.

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Yes the old SCT is a bit on the heavy side! 
I hope your radiotherapy was successful, they have come a long way in cancer treatment these days. I was diagnosed in 2009 when it had already spread out over my body, I was living in Spain at the time. They told me I had 6 months to live and sent me home to finish my radiotherapy as an outpatient. After a year I was well enough for us to move back to the UK where I am still treated by Norfolk & Norwich hospital. I am doing pretty well apart from crippling fatigue that can go on for days. However, I do have good days and that’s when I get my scope out.

I enjoyed a few years of astrophotography, what a steep learning curve that was, but astrophotography was hard work and at times even stressful so I  am glad to return to visual observing, one of the great simple pleasures of life. You just can’t beat getting eyeball to eyepiece!

All the best

Keith

• Like 2

I ordered a TeleGizmos scope cover from FLO last Friday and they advised delivery would be 10 to 15 days, very pleased to report it arrived today, only 5 days.

I am very impressed with the cover, very well made, thick material and a good fit. This is going to save me so much hard work, not just lifting out the scope but not having to polar align again. All I need to do, if required, is to do a star alignment.

This also means that I shall be encouraged to use it far more often!

• Like 5