NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C/2022 E3 (ZTF)

josefk

So GnG again last night and with low scudding cloud the target for the session was C/2022 E3. Till now only seen once and in binoculars.

First a silly mistake. Struve 1927 here - i thought i should be able to see C/2022 E3 next to the FOV centered star HD 135825 and couldn't. i couldn't believe transparency was so bad i wouldn't be able to see anything - then realised i was using the position of C/2022 from the day before. Doh!

IMG_3582.thumb.jpeg.f4c49bfa7bff253cc8caf79e56e80c39.jpeg

With route ending corrected here is C/2022 E3 in its actual location on the evening of the 25th - slightly higher to the North West in Draco. Transparency was poor at this low angle so contrast was poor. Just 3 or 4 degrees higher felt like it would have made the difference to clearer and darker skies. The comet appeared like a large unresolved globular cluster with off centre bright core and tiny hint of very bright point source in that bright core:

IMG_3581.thumb.jpeg.fa9a0c12a8801b06ea107797d71df541.jpeg

For positional comparison last week (20.01) i secured an awkward view through steeply mounted binoculars while the Comet was in Bootes and much much higher up in clear morning skies:

IMG_3584.thumb.jpeg.d6fa4eb2a1fc36a816dcd3db75a4fecf.jpeg

Edited by josefk
dates added
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Moon-Monkey but I’ve to confess I have misled you there with the middle one and the way I have drawn it. Apologies. The sketch is two “eyepieces worth” so I could get more positionally anchoring stars in east to west. 

I will get the binoviewers on it at some point if the weather allows because I think they will be very effective. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, josefk said:

Thanks @Moon-Monkey but I’ve to confess I have misled you there with the middle one and the way I have drawn it. Apologies. The sketch is two “eyepieces worth” so I could get more positionally anchoring stars in east to west. 

I will get the binoviewers on it at some point if the weather allows because I think they will be very effective. 

No need to apologise buddy it was I who assumed great sketch bud 🔭

• Like 1