Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Samyang 135 1st light, Orion's head.

ollypenrice

First light for a joint project with Peter Woods and Paul Kummer using a co-owned robotic setup based at my place. Samyang 135 lens, TS 2600 OSC camera, Avalon M-Uno mount.

2 panel mosaic, 56x3 mins for one side and 72x3 mins for the other. That's just what the sky decided to give us but it was an easy post process. Paul did the driving at capture and the pre-processing. I did the post processing on this version.

Perhaps this beautiful nebula will get more attention now that the Samyang 135 is so popular. One thing I like about shooting only in broadband and with fast optics is the way you capture a higher proportion of dust relative to emission nebulosity than when adding Ha to RGB. A Photoshop adjustment of the hue in reds is good for emphasizing the dust.

1073373408_MEISSAFINWEB.thumb.jpg.6608a241459e50388db591ac3ea48bc2.jpg

EDIT:  Please scroll down for a version 2.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Colour tweak.
  • Like 27

Here's a version 2. I didn't use BlurXT on the first one because it damaged the stars.  In V2 I did use it and found the starless nebula was better because BlurXT helped StarXT and also improved detail. When I came to replace the stars I used the ones which had not been through BlurXT so I could get the best of both worlds. I think this is going to be my standard approach with the Samyang. Is it a bit bright on the colour?? 

1091294213_MeissaV2FINweb.thumb.jpg.7173cb2eb428ed19616623b00c45b1ad.jpg

Edited by ollypenrice
False click.
  • Like 2