NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Huge spot [AR3190] with the [safely filtered] naked eye?

Rusted

1158320_domessnowrsz600.jpg.1d13058751bcd2c06456140e42082554.jpg

I tried both my 2" Lacerta and Lunt 1.25" wedges [both with associated safety filters] but couldn't see any surface detail by eye.
Both wedges showed double images to my naked eye.
The Lacerta 2" includes a rotatable polarizing filter. So supplied a usefully dimmer image to taste.
Still no spot on the tiny little sun!  :rolleyes2:

I planned to try a Baader solar foil filter after lunch but now it has clouded over.
The forecast was clear this afternoon. <sniff> Perhaps it will clear again.

I have no telescopes set up in the observatory after taking them down for safety reasons during the recent storm.
I need to hire a crane to swap domes. So have put off setting anything up for imaging for the moment.
Picture shows the 4.3m still waiting to replace the 3m dome on the enlarged observatory. December snow.

Edited by Rusted
added image
  • Like 1

Ii was going to post this in it's own thread but my wife and I both observed the large sun spot with the naked eye . The filter was the freezing fog that was dimming the Sun to safe levels. In addition the cloud/fog skipping across the surfacethere was a steady dark patch .

On just getting home now I confirmed it with the Solar Data Analysis images.

Regards Andrew

• Like 2

That huge sunspot appears about the same size, if not larger, than the crater Copernicus appears on the Moon, relatively speaking and Copernicus is visible to the naked-eye, so it's no surprise that it's been sighted in this way. I've seen large sunspots in the past with the unaided eye a few times, usually just after sunrise through the fog.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Ii was going to post this in it's own thread but my wife and I both observed the large sun spot with the naked eye . The filter was the freezing fog that was dimming the Sun to safe levels. In addition the cloud/fog skipping across the surfacethere was a steady dark patch .

On just getting home now I confirmed it with the Solar Data Analysis images.

Regards Andrew

"Safe" in brightness but not necessarily safe in other radiations?    🤔 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

"Safe" in brightness but not necessarily safe in other radiations?    🤔 

What did you have in mind? Fog is an excellent blocker or scatterer from UV through visible to IR.  Regards Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

What did you have in mind? Fog is an excellent blocker or scatterer from UV through visible to IR.  Regards Andrew

In retrospect, I thought this may be the case, hence the ? I was aware that certain mediums pass unwanted radiation despite attenuating the brightness.  I'm not surprised you know better but one can't be too careful with solar observation.    🙂

• Thanks 2