NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A change is a good as a rest apparently

Whippy

As much as I love my Zenithstar 110, I've always been well aware that it is primarily a (superb) scope for observers rather than a dual purpose/imaging specific scope and using two extension tubes (50mm & 80mm) plus having the focuser almost fully racked out can't be any good for the focuser nor any help during long exposures, I'm convinced it's introducing flexture into the setup. So I'm mulling over selling/trading it and the options for it as a replacement. I can't afford to add any money to a possible sale and I'd like to roughly stick to the focal ratio and length (f7, 770mm) that the ZS110 is. Bearing in mind I'd like to stick to a refractor, here's my thoughts so far:

SW ED80 Pro: Possible, but I'd hope to have a bit more money out of the sale for something a little better.

SW ED120 Pro: Probably my favourite contender but the extra focal length (900mm over 770mm) might cause extra aggro and tbh I could do with keeping it simple as much as you can with imaging!

Megrez 90: Nice, probably the only WO model I could afford new, might even be able to squeeze in a reducer too. Not sure about it's imaging credentials though.

I know there's a host of secondhand options too but the names escape me right now. Has anyone got any other options that I've missed out on or an opinion on what I've considered?

Tony..

I had thought of using a reducer with the 120, it's an option. I've managed to get by without using one so far but I guess it'll all depend on the sale of the ZS110 for the money side of things.

Tony..

Thats very kind of you Helen, I may just take you up on that ;). Of course if you feel the need to use the 110 (or indeed anything else I'll be bringing :rolleyes: ) you need only to ask!

Tony..

I think that in coming down from a 110 to an 80mm scope, you would notice the drop-off in light grab, although if your guiding and 'seeing' would accomodate the extra exposure time, then fine.

The 120 with a 0.63 FR, would bring the focal length down to 567mm, and of course 'up' the speed.

The ED80's imaging credentials are well established, but the focuser. although more than adequate, is not of the same quality as the WO's.

I don't know how the SW 120 and WO 90 perform with respect to CA, but I'm sure someone here can answer that one.

Of the course you can answer any questions regarding the 90, at SGL4, courtesy of Helen. :rolleyes:

There is another option, which is the Meade Series 5000 Triplet APO, which I might bring along to SGL4, but then again this is only an 80mm scope.

Decisions, decisions Tony ;)

Dave

Cheers Dave, another one for the list ;). I know Rog and Martin both have 120's so they can't be that bad but I've been doing some googling on the M90 and I don't hear anything bad about it so as you say mate 'decisions, decisions'....

Tony..

I know Rog and Martin both have 120's so they can't be that bad but ....

Tony..

Roger's is the Equinox version of course, but I'm not sure about Martin's.

However, apart from the 'posh' paint job, and better focuser, I think the optics are the same as in the Pro.

Dave

The ED120 is great and will give you a pretty flat field with the 16 HR. It will work well with a 0.63 reducer. The great advantage with the relatively small chip on your camera is that field flatness isn't really much of an issue. Having the ZS66 means you can go for wide field stuff, an ED120 will let you get closer in so targets such as M51, M101, M27 will be perfect.

I have the basic ED120 and am aware that the stock focuser isn't exactly a luxury item but actually dont find it a problem at all. The focuser doesn't rotate which is a shame and I really couldn't care less about the paint job. I'm not selling mine BTW!

I don't know anything about the Megrez 90 other than it's supposed to be the daddy of the Megrez range. There's certainly more pride of ownership with a WO scope.

I don't know anything about the Megrez 90 other than it's supposed to be the daddy of the Megrez range. There's certainly more pride of ownership with a WO scope.

I have had a SW equinoxe (only the lowly 66) and a WO (again a lowly Megrez 72) and would say they are both very nice... the focuser on the Equinoxes is a nice unit and mine was well built until i killed it...

Is it really pride of ownership or a label thing ....

Peter....

Peter, I've never been into the "pride of ownership" thing but the way some people talk you'd think they take their scopes to bed with them!

Me neither... essentially they are tools (or should that be toys - tools are for work where as toys are meant to be for enjoyment...)

Whippy, the best bet like all these things is do as much research as possible and try and get hands and eyes on both... Personally I'd have no qualms with buying either and Equinoxe or a WO... based on my limited "bottom end" experience of both...

I am sure we would all love the best most expensive kit out there ... but I think that we all need to recognise that the most important thing is getting the best use and most enjoyment out of whatever kit we can afford...

likewise I think we should be able to answer questions at several levels and try and find out how much or little detail people want to go into... especially when answering questions from newer members its very easy to put people off trying something by making it seem unnecessarily complex or expensive...

I think I'll get of my soapbox now before I get a nose bleed...

Peter...

Roger's is the Equinox version of course, but I'm not sure about Martin's.

However, apart from the 'posh' paint job, and better focuser, I think the optics are the same as in the Pro.

Dave

Indeed they are Dave, and I'm not bothered about the paint job nor the rotatable focuser so I'd go with the pro if I went for one.

Cheers Martin, I kind of guessed you'd give one the thumbs up :)although my only concern with it would be that it is sizeably bigger than my 110 which might make things a little trickier when the wind picks up but I guess I could get something like an ST80 for guiding and image with the 66 for days like those.

As Helen is bringing her M90 to SGL4 and I've also been offered a play with an ED80 too, the 110 looks like it it'll be either in it's case or on someone else's mount that weekend! I'm no hurry for making a decision as we're heading towards 'that' part of the year.

Tony..

Don't underestimate the usefulness of the rotatable focuser - it's a god send.

Enable you to frame an object really easily without altering the focus point.

I have the Revalation ED80 (f6.8), which seems to be a cross between the Equinox and SW ED80. ED80 glass with the Equinox "trim", the focuser is fantastic.

I've also got the WO focuser on the back of the Skymax180 - again it's rotatable.

Both of them are dual speed as well, which is another major bonus.

Cheers

Ant

Funny thing Ant, I've never used the rotating focuser function on either of my Zenithstars, I rotate the camera instead. The dual speed feature I'd miss if I didn't have it though.

I do like your Rev80 though, nice bit of kit that ;).

Tony..

I've used my megrez 90 quite a bit for both imaging and visual use. I am very pleased so far. The only "downside" is that the 0.8 flattener/reducer is "mandatory", and even with that I have experiences some funny shaped stars around the edges. It might come from the weight of my canon 10D (quite heavy) causing some flex.

The scope seems really well built, and I swear it even smells good. I wouldn't take it to bed though :-)

I've also actually looked through it. My best experience so far was this winter on a freezing cold winter night 1000m above sealevel. I checked a lot of galaxies off my list including 2 out 3 three leo triplets :-)

Thanks Glen, I'd hope that the smaller chip on my camera wouldn't cause the issues you've been having with your DSLR, although I'd still be looking at getting the reducer.

Saying that though, it looks like there could be some money coming my way which could boost the coffers to about £1400 (on the proviso that I get a good price for the ZS110). The FLT98 looks like a cracking scope but I'm wondering if there's anything else around that price point (new and s/h) that could give me what I'm looking for?

Tony..

Archived