Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asking for a friend, power supply issue.

A friend has recently started the hobby of astrophotography and purchased a SW HEQ5 pro mount. The mount came with a power lead that has a male cigarette light socket end. She brought a power supply from FLO that has a female cigarette socket but it's not powering the mount lead, the power supply turns on but the lead doesn't light up and nor does the mount. From my knowledge this should work but can't figure out why.

She has tried thecigarette lead in the car and it turns on do it's definitely something on the power supply end.

Edited by Rustang

Firstly, some of the cigarette power sockets come with an in line fuse. I would check that the fuse is ok first. If the fuse is ok and if you/she has access to a multimeter you could do a continuity check on the lead to confirm that the lead is ok. If the lead checks out ok, use the multimeter to confirm that the power supply is providing the correct voltage about 12-13 volts.  If all of that checks out other the problem may lie with the mount - unlikely but possible. 

Jim 

B07SRBWFGP.PT03_1024x1024.webp

Edited by saac
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, saac said:

Firstly, some of the cigarette power sockets come with an in line fuse. I would check that the fuse is ok first. If the fuse is ok and if you/she has access to a multimeter you could do a continuity check on the lead to confirm that the lead is ok. If the lead checks out ok, use the multimeter to confirm that the power supply is providing the correct voltage about 12-13 volts.  If all of that checks out other the problem may lie with the mount - unlikely but possible. 

Jim 

She has tried the lead in the cigarette socket in the car and the lead light up so I'm sure it's the new power supply that's got something going on, il pass on the info you said re the fuse 

1 minute ago, Rustang said:

She has tried the lead in the cigarette socket in the car and the lead light up so I'm sure it's the new power supply that's got something going on, il pass on the info you said re the fuse 

If the LED in the lead is lighting then the fuse will be ok.  So it is not lighting when connected to the power supply then the power supply is either faulty, not fully charged or not making a good connection with the male cigarette socket. If the power supply is a rechargeable type then I would make sure it is fully charged first - good 12 hour charge cycle.  Then try connection, rotate the male socket to make sure it is making a good contact. If that does not work then a quick check with a multi meter  to confirm the power supply is providing the correct output voltage (12-13 V) . Hold one of the multi meter leads to the centre contact and the other to the side wall inside the female socket (select voltage on multi meter) . Do you know if the power supply has any other power take off points?  If it has, then the other take off points (outlets) could be used to check that the supply is ok. It does sound like the issue may be with the supply but you would also need to check the mount before to confirm this.  She could try powering the mount with say a spare car battery, or directly from the car cigarette socket if the lead is long enough.

Jim

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, saac said:

If the LED in the lead is lighting then the fuse will be ok.  So it is not lighting when connected to the power supply then the power supply is either faulty, not fully charged or not making a good connection with the male cigarette socket. If the power supply is a rechargeable type then I would make sure it is fully charged first - good 12 hour charge cycle.  Then try connection, rotate the male socket to make sure it is making a good contact. If that does not work then a quick check with a multi meter  to confirm the power supply is providing the correct output voltage (12-13 V) . Hold one of the multi meter leads to the centre contact and the other to the side wall inside the female socket (select voltage on multi meter) . Do you know if the power supply has any other power take off points?  If it has, then the other take off points (outlets) could be used to check that the supply is ok. It does sound like the issue may be with the supply but you would also need to check the mount before to confirm this.  She could try powering the mount with say a spare car battery, or directly from the car cigarette socket if the lead is long enough.

Jim

Thanks, we will give all that ago, its a mains powered supply so no charge needed.

• Like 1

Sounds like a faulty Nevada power supply. I change all my inline fuses like the one in the cigarette plug from quick blow to slow blow. If the LED Is illuminated by her car socket then it points to the Nevada (I presume it’s a Nevada). Remember that the on/off switch is reversed to normal electrical switches. IE: it’s up for on and down for off. Is the Nevada lighting up?

• Thanks 1

@Rustang there is another thread here on SGL with this problem.  I've offered help and to check it out, but naturally she may be wary of popping over to a stranger. I did not realise the poster could have been female. 

If you need any assistance helping her give me a shout.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Sounds like a faulty Nevada power supply. I change all my inline fuses like the one in the cigarette plug from quick blow to slow blow. If the LED Is illuminated by her car socket then it points to the Nevada (I presume it’s a Nevada). Remember that the on/off switch is reversed to normal electrical switches. IE: it’s up for on and down for off. Is the Nevada lighting up?

Yeah it's a Nevada, it powers up, light is on but nothing from the cigarette socket. I'm going to lend her a cable that goes straight into the red and black socket to see if that works.

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

@Rustang there is another thread here on SGL with this problem.  I've offered help and to check it out, but naturally she may be wary of popping over to a stranger. I did not realise the poster could have been female. 

Steve

A recent thread? Have you got a link to it?

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

Steve

Found it, I didn't realise that she had started a thread, I had mentioned to her to join the forum and also didn't realise she had done so :)

1 hour ago, Rustang said:

Yeah it's a Nevada, it powers up, light is on but nothing from the cigarette socket. I'm going to lend her a cable that goes straight into the red and black socket to see if that works.

The first thing I'd do is connect a meter to those plug sockets to see if that gets any power.  Then if it did try various new car socket plugs to see if they light up - they do even if not wired up to anything, so good for socket testing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

The first thing I'd do is connect a meter to those plug sockets to see if that gets any power.  Then if it did try various new car socket plugs to see if they light up - they do even if not wired up to anything, so good for socket testing.

Il see if they can get hold of a multi meter

Edited by Rustang