Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Ursa Major 8" f/6 Dobsonian

I see the Sky Watcher 200P Dobsonian after being replaced by Stella Lyra has now been superceded by one called 'Ursa Major 8" f/6 Dobsonian', still a parabolic mirror but the construction looks more robust and also a better f/ratio at f/6.  It also has a 2" Crayford focuser instead of the silly 1.25 and 2" swap overs of the original Sky Watcher.  It also has a cooling fan and Plossl eyepieces all for £349, pretty good, found here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ursa-major-telescopes/ursa-major-8-f6-dobsonian.html

• Like 1

That's the more basic GSO 8" f/6 Dobsonian without all the Deluxe version's upgrades like the dual speed focuser, RACI, and movable/adjustable altitude tensioner.  I agree that the focuser alone makes it much more desirable than the basic Synta/Skywatcher 8" f/6 Dob.  I'm glad FLO has decided to add it to their lineup.

Here it is under the GSO  brand name.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1

As I understand it from a previous post I read some time ago FLO has gone for two brand names to separate the more budget conscious and more premium products, Ursa Major being the more budget-friendly and price competitive with the likes of Sky-Watcher, and then Stellar Lyra for the more premium - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-telescopes/stellalyra-8-f6-dobsonian.html 

When you consider the Ursa is only £349, the Sky-Watcher is £379 with a lesser spec and the Stellar Lyra is £459, I'm really surprised anyone is still buying new Sky-Watcher 200P's... For £80 more you get a nice dual speed crayford, cooling fan and battery pack, proper bearings, RACI and a chunky 30mm 2" 68 degree widefield eyepiece, no brainer really.. And no I'm not on commission from FLO 😂

• Like 1

There’s a good amount of choice in this range. And even with the price increases it’s still very good value.

When I was a kid my parents (around the mid-1970’) bought me a small refractor. It was enough to get me started. Then, in the late 1970’s, possibly 1980, just before I went to university I can remember flicking through some British telescope manufacturers brochure. I can still remember the disappointment when I realised the huge relative cost of something in the 8inch reflector range. And the realisation that I simply wouldn’t be able to afford it for many years. At that point I gave up. And didn’t get back into the hobby by chance until late 2020. 

• Like 1