Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do yall think about this?

JokubasJar

zwo850.PNG.4a43765e90023ee1a04b4420a83fe4a1.PNG

I have an ZWO asi462 which is notorious for its IR performance, I also have the 850nm filter. I mainly do planetary but I am planning a small newt deepsky setup. I have read about the benefits of shooting luminance in IR, especially for galaxies, and this text on the ZWO website caught my eye. I've tested this with planets, and for the most part it seems correct. After setting the WB_R and WB_B in firecapture to 50 the bayer pattern is no longer visible, even when you turn debayer off. Is there any benefit to this, does this transform my osc into a mono cam in IR? Are there any drawbacks?

23 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Almost every Bayer matrix leaks NIR to almost the same level for each of the three channels (R,G &B). That's why with a full spectrum modded camera when used with a 800+ NM IR pass filter, the images are monochromatic (black and white)

So I don't need to debayer with the 850nm pass for luminance correct?

10 hours ago, JokubasJar said:

So I don't need to debayer with the 850nm pass for luminance correct?

That is correct.

Shoot flats though to correct for small difference in sensitivity (although it is not uniform, so you can't really correct it in any way, flats will help somewhat).