Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M35 and NGC2158 in Gemini

geeklee

A short stack of subs recovered from a very frustrating night on the 2nd January.  Haze and passing cloud on a night that was forecast, and continued to be forecast as clear!

Sky-Watcher 150P-DS alongside an ASI533-MC Pro - 72 x 60s (72 mins).  Captured in NINA, pre-processed in APP and processed in PixInsight.

Thanks for looking.

M35_RGB_72x60s-Proc1-50Pct.thumb.jpg.5b1cccc27a097ce453802df1008cd0cc.jpg

Just the one galaxy picked up in the PGC - PGC18441

image.png.b3b83c9f1a873ff4e4ea749686be6e71.png

4eeb4f0e-cd66-401c-9ff7-92c4f447283a.png

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 22

Very nice Lee. Lovely to see stars fields and clusters like this, rich in colour and size.  The 6” is definitely an under used instrument but is a good aperture and FL. I cut my teeth on one and still have it tucked away. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Ratlet @Adreneline @tooth_dr @Spr 👍

15 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

The 6” is definitely an under used instrument but is a good aperture and FL.

I picked it up second hand from a fellow SGL member a few months back.  It's been great just having a play with it alongside an OSC camera for now.  It's just getting the clear skies to concentrate on a target that's proving the usual challenge.

Very nice image, with beautiful colour. Just a bit of trivia, that small galaxy is at least 800 Mly distant. If you click on the NED database link in the reference you provided, you reach the NASA Extragalactic Database (NED), which shows a distance of 250 Mpc (mega parsec). Multiply by 3.25 to get 800 Mly.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, wimvb said:

If you click on the NED database link in the reference you provided

Thank you Wim! I had been on the NED site the evening before but concentrating on the finder chart views.  Simbad can sometimes have additional reference tables with Mpc distances but this object didn't.  I can't believe it was staring me in the face on the NED site 🤦‍♂️ (I missed the Redshifts tab also!)

As a slight aside, I adapted the tip you provided about using the TypeCat script.  I had another image with Collinder 21 included and couldn't find a solve with the default catalogues (or TypeCat - I maybe missed something here). 

I instead opened one of the TypeCat exported files, removed the entries and created a new tab separated one with the requisite details (RA, DEC, Name, Diameter for annotation mark, Type).  I then used this as a custom catalogue and it worked a treat.  Maybe overkill and I missed the simple way but useful to know that you can also tag things however you like if you wanted to mark up an image yourself.

image.png.c01c730d92b4ce721b807642b9751da7.png image.png.bb6d5f816c3ef66d61a2ba2ba347ce79.png

• Like 1