Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - 2nd/3rd Jan 2023

geoflewis

As per my 'taster' post earlier today, I spent approximately 4 hours last night imaging Mars while Syrtis Major was rotating from the limb, to just past the Central Meridian. I have now finalised processing the images and have created 2 separate montages, one for the 3 final images from before midnight (hence dated 2 Jan) and 2 after midnight (hence 3 Jan). The final images are all de-rotated stacks of best 20k frames per video. The 1st four images each comprise best 20k frames from each of 3 SERs, hence 60k frames in total and the last one is from 2 SERs, so 40k frames integrated. The longer time gap between some of the images is where the quality from the SERs that I captured between those times wasn't good enough to fully process and also why the last image from the session has less data included.

The images are annotated with relevant details of capture and equipment used.

Mars_2023Jan02_21280_gdbl_rgb(x3).thumb.jpg.4161c84bee7e0e2dae94c5bfb427e3e0.jpg

Mars_2023Jan03_00091_gdbl_rgb(x2).thumb.jpg.256049d671c6ccee9ff25e103040fabc.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 19

Fantastic! In my eyes, the 2252 is your sharpest image. Are you planning any animations or not enough in between images?

I am loking forward to your map once you put it together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Kon said:

Fantastic! In my eyes, the 2252 is your sharpest image. Are you planning any animations or not enough in between images?

I am loking forward to your map once you put it together.

Thanks Kostas, yes, I agree that the 2252 is the best and indeed one of the 3 SERs included in that de-rotated stack yielded the best from the entire session, but I felt the others were good enough to combine them. I possibly could produce an animation, but there would be some gaps especialy between those after midnight, where I had a run of 4x6m SERs that turned out pretty poor. My eyes are burnt out from processing that lot today 🥴, so I may take another look tomorrow, or later this week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, geoflewis said:

As per my 'taster' post earlier today, I spent approximately 4 hours last night imaging Mars while Syrtis Major was rotating from the limb, to just past the Central Meridian. I have now finalised processing the images and have created 2 separate montages, one for the 3 final images from before midnight (hence dated 2 Jan) and 2 after midnight (hence 3 Jan). The final images are all de-rotated stacks of best 20k frames per video. The 1st four images each comprise best 20k frames from each of 3 SERs, hence 60k frames in total and the last one is from 2 SERs, so 40k frames integrated. The longer time gap between some of the images is where the quality from the SERs that I captured between those times wasn't good enough to fully process and also why the last image from the session has less data included.

The images are annotated with relevant details of capture and equipment used.

Mars_2023Jan02_21280_gdbl_rgb(x3).thumb.jpg.4161c84bee7e0e2dae94c5bfb427e3e0.jpg

Mars_2023Jan03_00091_gdbl_rgb(x2).thumb.jpg.256049d671c6ccee9ff25e103040fabc.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Great images! I would definitely get some prints done and framed 🙃 I have Mars in my living room but having your own images will be sweet

20230104_122950.jpg

Edited by Mart29
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mart29 said:

Great images! I would definitely get some prints done and framed 🙃 I have Mars in my living room but having your own images will be sweet

Thanks, though I'm not sure that the quality is sufficient to enlarge to poster size, though I do have some smaller 12"x8" photo prints of Jupiter and Saturn from a few years ago, so it's a good suggestion.....🤔

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kon said:

Are you planning any animations or not enough in between images?

Here's a GIF animation created in PIPP, using best 20k TIFFs from all the SERs that I captured, regardless of quality....

2023-01-02-2113_9-GDL-RGB-Mars_lapl4_ap17_F20000_sharp90_R6(1-1-1-20-50-70)_pipp.gif.8acf70ce9dc1099e43b4e7561b050a91.gif

The elapsed time is approximately 4 hours. It's a bit jerky, partly due to gaps in capture, but also because I had to reset the ADC a few times, then rotate the camera back to the same orientation, as best as I could guess.

• Like 7

Just now, Kon said:

One of the best I have seen. Still a lot of details. Thanks for putting it together. It really brings it to life and in 4 hrs you truly see the rotation.

Thanks Kostas, PIPP made it easy using the TIFFs I'd already created. Ideally I'd have liked a bigger GIF image, but other than resizing all the source images all one by one, I don't know how to do that. I couldn't see anything in PIPP to enlarge the images during processing, but I think it's still worked pretty well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Kostas, PIPP made it easy using the TIFFs I'd already created. Ideally I'd have liked a bigger GIF image, but other than resizing all the source images all one by one, I don't know how to do that. I couldn't see anything in PIPP to enlarge the images during processing, but I think it's still worked pretty well.

I have not seen a resize option in PIPP. Unless you import all tiffs in Gimp or PS and resize in batch? I  can't think of an alternative.

• Like 1