SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece recommendation

I always found a 7mm eyepiece you've quite a good match for typical uk atmospheric conditions. The Celestron X-Cel LX is a good, sharp eyepiece. If you want to spend more then the Pentax XW or 6.5mm Baader Morpheus would be good choices. All these lines have a 4.5 or 5mm option as well for even higher power that should be within your scope's capabilities, but not always allowed by the atmosphere. 

Alternatively, I prefer to binoview for lunar/planetary but this will first require buying a binoviewer and finding barlows or gpcs that allow it to focus before choosing eyepiece pairs. The Baader Max bright 2 with newton gpc might be an option but you will need to compare the infocus requirement listed in its manual and compare it to how much infocus you have on your telescope from the single eyepiece focus position. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I always found a 7mm eyepiece you've quite a good match for typical uk atmospheric conditions. The Celestron X-Cel LX is a good, sharp eyepiece. If you want to spend more then the Pentax XW or 6.5mm Baader Morpheus would be good choices. All these lines have a 4.5 or 5mm option as well for even higher power that should be within your scope's capabilities, but not always allowed by the atmosphere. 

Alternatively, I prefer to binoview for lunar/planetary but this will first require buying a binoviewer and finding barlows or gpcs that allow it to focus before choosing eyepiece pairs. The Baader Max bright 2 with newton gpc might be an option but you will need to compare the infocus requirement listed in its manual and compare it to how much infocus you have on your telescope from the single eyepiece focus position. 

The Celestron sounds good, I will go and have a look. Thanks for your help.”

Well it just depends on how much you want to see.  In my 10 inch i am happy with a 9mm on the moon.   It just hits the right mark for me.  I also like a variable 8 to 24 for the moon.  As for the planets i have used a variable 9mm and 12.5mm and have even used a 2 inch 20mm 80 degree in a 2x Barlow.  They all have merits.