Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon filter piece for Skymax 127

Hello,

I did some observations of the moon previously but I felt the moonlight is too strong in full moon phase, specially for the kids. Then I bought a moon filter Crystalview 2" for my Skymax 127, but it seems it doesnt fit on the thread. Im not sure if I am missing something here or I just bought the wrong filter.'

any advice or suggestion in which filter to use?

Thanks

20 hours ago, osilvab said:

I did some observations of the moon previously but I felt the moonlight is too strong in full moon phase, specially for the kids.

A simpler option would be to cover part of the telescope opening to reduce the amount of light coming in. Most scopes come with a lid which has an opening and cap, try that.

In my opinion the Moon filters are not worth it.

• Like 1

You don't need a Moon filter unless you think you need a Moon filter.  🙂 It is bright compared with the night sky and will dazzle you for looking at faint night sky objects, but in actuality is no brighter than a sunlit asphalt road.   Do not cover part of the aperture - that just converts your telescope into a smaller and less capable one.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

ND0.9 is the standard filter for smallish scopes. Some find the glare of a bright moon startling and with dark adapted eyes it can be, but it's harmless. I find the ND0.9 helps with revealing faint shadow detail and doesn't reduce the resolution of the scope like an aperture stop does.

• Like 1

I've tried a couple of neutral density filters, a green "thing", and a couple of colored filters.  I find a yellow #8 to work best followed by a medium orange #21.  The others were marginal at best IME.

I think I read somewhere that some people use purple filters on the moon, but I've never tried that.  OTOH, Antares 1.25-in filters sell for about US$10 - US$12 each, so experimenting is not costly.  You can even stack them if you want.

Usually I observe around first and last quarters though, so I don't bother with a filter.

Edited by jjohnson3803