Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autoguiding, only starting and it is the bane of my life

Philobr

17 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

You only need a ZWO camera to use the asiair plus. The rest you can do manually like focus and change filters etc. It doesn’t rely on anything else.

When I started I used a Nikon DSLR, works fine with an ASI Air. You need an ASI guide camera for guiding though

I don't like being tied into the ZWO world but it seemed a small price to pay to avoid what my astromates were going through every other night, guiding failures, mount collisions, port issues

It is a gateway as I seem to have accumulated 3 ZWO cameras, EAF etc. I'm now taking my first baby steps with a PC based setup

• Like 1

Just now, 900SL said:

When I started I used a Nikon DSLR, works fine with an ASI Air. You need an ASI guide camera for guiding though

I don't like being tied into the ZWO world but it seemed a small price to pay to avoid what my astromates were going through every other night, guiding failures, mount collisions, port issues

It is a gateway as I seem to have accumulated 3 ZWO cameras, EAF etc. I'm now taking my first baby steps with a PC based setup

I started off with just the ZWO camera and no guide scope or anything else. Just unguided EEVA. It doesn’t need to guide. I learned the basics and added the other parts one at a time. First the guide scope and camera, then the filter wheel and EAF auto focuser. So I was never swamped with everything at once to learn. I now just download from my SD card or thumb drive to my PC. I don’t think I would gain anything from changing to a PC based system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I started off with just the ZWO camera and no guide scope or anything else. Just unguided EEVA. It doesn’t need to guide. I learned the basics and added the other parts one at a time. First the guide scope and camera, then the filter wheel and EAF auto focuser. So I was never swamped with everything at once to learn. I now just download from my SD card or thumb drive to my PC. I don’t think I would gain anything from changing to a PC based system.

This is a thread about guiding and the OP doesn't have a zwo guide camera...

I get that the Asiair is very good, but that's a fairly big outlay to get guiding working compared to the rest of the kit in his list. I'd have thought the next upgrade should ideally be his mount, once he's got all his current bits working and knows he wants to spend more money on the hobby. 

I'm with previous posters - pare it all back to basics and get one thing working at a time (although I do like plate solving, and got that working before I did guiding 😉

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

This is a thread about guiding and the OP doesn't have a zwo guide camera...

I get that the Asiair is very good, but that's a fairly big outlay to get guiding working compared to the rest of the kit in his list. I'd have thought the next upgrade should ideally be his mount, once he's got all his current bits working and knows he wants to spend more money on the hobby. 

I'm with previous posters - pare it all back to basics and get one thing working at a time (although I do like plate solving, and got that working before I did guiding 😉

For what I have read it’s nothing to do with auto guiding but rather target acquisition. I agree with the others in that I think he is trying to run before walking. I was merely giving him an option that would eliminate all the software he is getting problems with. Nothing more.

• Like 1