Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Ultima Edge 30mm = APM UFF = StellaLyra UF

cajen2

I got the CUE to replace my Vixen NPL 30 for wide-field views. The Vixen is excellent but gives only 50° - this is 70° so should be a great improvement. I'll post a first light review soonest and hopefully this'll be handy for anyone considering any of the three EPs.

First impressions are very good - hefty (607g) and solid. It comes with a soft rubber eyecup which folds down if required. I rarely use eyecups and since the top lens cap won't fit with the eyecup folded down, I'll probably take it off.

More details after Xmas (it's a pressie!).IMG_20221210_115849.thumb.jpg.4efc983f1d26c80b6f4211471b08389c.jpg

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

Would be interested to know how it compares with the Baader Hyperion Aspheric 31 mm, which has a similar APFOV.

John 

They are in a different league.  The Baader 31 is not as well corrected and exhibits many aberrations in any scope shorter than f/8.

It's poor at f/5, with serious astigmatism and chromatic aberration.

In contrast, the United Optics 30mm Ultra Flat Field is superb in scopes of any f/ratio.

It comes under the labels of APM UFF, Celestron Ultima Edge, Meade UHD, Altair Ultra Flat, Sky Rover UF, Tecnosky UFF, etc., etc.

Highly recommended, regardless of which label it's sold under.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Which I'll be testing as soon as my xmas bonus arrives 😋

As I said, I'm reliably informed that the Celestron, the APM and the StellaLyra are different only cosmetically, so comments should apply to all three. The other brands may be strong in the US but aren't widely available here. FLO sell the Meade UHD but it's much more expensive.

13 minutes ago, Louis D said:

And yet their MSRPs are similar.

The difference between the 31mm Hyperion $280 C and the 30mm Ultima Edge $380 C, is $100 C +/-. A bit more than similar over here in C.

Edited by LDW1

The 31mm Hyperion has an MSRP of $226 (USD) and is on sale right now for $169 (USD).

The 30mm Celestron Ultima Edge is exactly the same optically as about a dozen other UFFs rebrandings, so let's just use the original APM UFF as the reference.  It has an MSRP of $266 (USD) and is on sale for $199 (USD) right now.  I can't help it if folks don't shop around for the best deal on rebranded optics.  I'm pretty sure KUO makes all of them.

That makes for a difference of $40 in MSRP and $30 in sale price.  I'd call that roughly the same ballpark for pricing.  I know if I could upgrade my car for less than a 20% increase in price and go from utilitarian performance to luxury or sporty performance in so doing, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.  The difference in resale value in 5 or 10 years time would also make it more worthwhile as well to upgrade at purchase time.

Well here in the UK, the Celestron and APM are £219 and  the StellaLyra is £179. The Meade is £299 so well overpriced.

Note to US readers: all our prices include tax.

Edited by cajen2

As long as price comparisons are done consistently within a single country, in a single currency, and consistently including or excluding tax, they should be fine.

The Meade and Celestron brands tend to price their gear on the high side.  I guess they're trading on their past reputations as innovators in SCTs.  Celestron is now a Synta brand while Meade is an Orion USA brand.

The 30mm Ultra Flat Field is available from:

Sky Rover (China direct, Australia)

APM (Germany)

Tecnosky (Italy)

Celestron (USA)

Meade (USA)

Altair Astro (UK)

Stella Lyra (UK)

I believe 2 or 3 new labels for the 30mm will soon appear.  KUO is doing a LOT of private labels these days.

• Like 1

MSRP was mentioned as a comparison not the occasional, short lasting sale price(s). I stand by what I said about regular dealers prices which we all know is usually lower than MSRP here in C and thats over a broad range of dealers ! If you want to talk sale prices it can be all over the place, make up your minds.

Edited by LDW1

44 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

MSRP was mentioned as a comparison not the occasional, short lasting sale price(s). I stand by what I said about regular dealers prices which we all know is usually lower than MSRP here in C and thats over a broad range of dealers ! If you want to talk sale prices it can be all over the place, make up your minds.

I did quote both MSRP and sales and referenced each to the same:

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

The 31mm Hyperion has an MSRP of $226 (USD) and is on sale right now for $169 (USD).

The 30mm Celestron Ultima Edge is exactly the same optically as about a dozen other UFFs rebrandings, so let's just use the original APM UFF as the reference.  It has an MSRP of $266 (USD) and is on sale for $199 (USD) right now.  I can't help it if folks don't shop around for the best deal on rebranded optics.  I'm pretty sure KUO makes all of them.

I'll explicitly do the math on each since you're challenging my assertion that the two track less than 20% apart:

MSRP: (266-226)/226 * 100% = 17.7%

Sale: (199-169)/169 * 100% = 17.8%

The 30mm UFF tracks almost exactly the same percentage higher either in MSRP or sales price above the 31mm Hyperion.  Where did I mix the two?

First of all note that I mentioned here in C ( Canada ), prices compared to the US are quite different, always was. Secondly, over the ocean it could very well be a similar spread, if available. Take it any way you want as long as apples aren't oranges !

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I did quote both MSRP and sales and referenced each to the same:

I'll explicitly do the math on each since you're challenging my assertion that the two track less than 20% apart:

MSRP: (266-226)/226 * 100% = 17.7%

Sale: (199-169)/169 * 100% = 17.8%

The 30mm UFF tracks almost exactly the same percentage higher either in MSRP or sales price above the 31mm Hyperion.  Where did I mix the two?

I know one thing, I didn't mix anything, it just happens I am in the process of buying a 30mm Ultima Edge and selling my 31mm Hyperion so I have been comparing prices, regular dealer prices across Canada. I will stick with the $100 spread for various reasons. What is this challenging, its here plain and simple based on my original post.

Edited by LDW1

11 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I got the CUE to replace my Vixen NPL 30 for wide-field views. The Vixen is excellent but gives only 50° - this is 70° so should be a great improvement. I'll post a first light review soonest and hopefully this'll be handy for anyone considering any of the three EPs.

First impressions are very good - hefty (607g) and solid. It comes with a soft rubber eyecup which folds down if required. I rarely use eyecups and since the top lens cap won't fit with the eyecup folded down, I'll probably take it off.

More details after Xmas (it's a pressie!).IMG_20221210_115849.thumb.jpg.4efc983f1d26c80b6f4211471b08389c.jpg

I know one thing for sure if it is anything like my 15mm Ultima Edge's performance you will like it ! And I am using it in amoungst my various Morpheus eps (4) with my various quality refractors. I am looking forward to comparing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I know one thing for sure if it is anything like my 15mm Ultima Edge's performance you will like it ! And I am using it in amoungst my various Morpheus eps (4) with my various quality refractors. I am looking forward to comparing.

Interesting. I love the Morpheus range too and have three of them. Can I ask why you wanted a CUE 15mm rather than a 14mil Morph?

Edited by cajen2
Typo

1 minute ago, cajen2 said:

Interesting. I love the Morpheus range too and have three of them. Can I ask why you wanted a CUE 15mm rather than a 14mil Morph?

I have the 17.5 Morph and the 12.5 Morph so I decided to try the 15 Ultima because I had been researching them and also it was exactly half way between the 2 Morphs. Its the way I am, always looking to try new astro gear, money isn't the issue all the time, if I don't like the whatever I either resell or give it to whom ever. Its part of the challenge, my enjoyment, the learning experience. It makes my day !

@LDW1 I do have to ask, are Canadians paid roughly 35% more than Americans for the equivalent job to offset the negative effect of the CAD to USD currency exchange rate?  I ask because my company adjusts pay based on the employee's local cost of living, and exchange rates certainly have an effect on purchasing power of foreign made goods or goods made with foreign made parts.

Edited by Louis D

My career was in the transportation engineering industry and I have been fully retired for 14 years but back then it was always recognized that Canadian wages ranged between 25-35% above US but taxes at all levels and benefits costs were considered alot higher which added to the math. As well and as you know exchange rates change constantly which constantly change the comparative $#'s. It goes from above par occasionally to 40% below occasionally so figure out the math. But as far as worker compensations it was always accepted that they were considerably higher up here, most times but then add in the 10x more population, in the US, to draw from in purchasing power and it ........... ! It all combines as to why canadian prices on everything is so much higher but I still order a lot of high priced stuff fromm the US due to availability mainly and I am happy if I just break even cost wise most times. The idea that you can get the item when you want it has to be worth something and thats where the US comes in many times and now China is coming on strong, lol !

• Like 1

There is some compensation.  The US pays a LOT more for health care and we don't live as long.

The only reason my wife and I are still working is to pay for health care.

It's likely that Canada would allow up to a certain value of product to come in for personal use duty free.

Especially from another Commonwealth country.

1 minute ago, Don Pensack said:

There is some compensation.  The US pays a LOT more for health care and we don't live as long.

The only reason my wife and I are still working is to pay for health care.

It's likely that Canada would allow up to a certain value of product to come in for personal use duty free.

Especially from another Commonwealth country.

There is no duty on astro gear from any where incl. China, we just have to pay sales tax on the accessed Canadian value.