NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Monitor flickering/band with dew heaters on Pegasus Powerbox Advance V2

I tried out a new to me Pegasus hub last night and there was quite noticeable banding when the dew heaters were turned on.  I was using a Hitec Astro MHP V3 prior to this and there was no banding with the same dew heaters.  I have a Nevada 25-30A power supply, and use Lindy USB cables, and branded dew heater cables.  I havent tried accessing the PC remotely to see if it's visible, or havent tried if it affects subs as it was late last night when I got it setup.

Any suggestions?

https://streamable.com/4urgkc

Cheers

Adam.

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I tried out a new to me Pegasus hub last night and there was quite noticeable banding when the dew heaters were turned on.  I was using a Hitec Astro MHP V3 prior to this and there was no banding with the same dew heaters.  I have a Nevada 25-30A power supply, and use Lindy USB cables, and branded dew heater cables.  I havent tried accessing the PC remotely to see if it's visible, or havent tried if it affects subs as it was late last night when I got it setup.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Adam.

Hi Adam, 

are you using the latest Unity software for the hub, instead of the older one you show in your image…this may make a difference…

I use the UPBv2 and with Kendrick dew bands and have no such issues, I use the Autodew feature…

Oh, and one more thing I have small ferrite cores on  all my power and USB cables, not sure whether that make any difference but always used them, they come in different diameters, and just clamp on the cables….

these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferrite-DOKEI-Anti-Interference-Suppressor-High-frequency/dp/B095HJZFVB/ref=sr_1_4?c=ts&keywords=Ferrite+Cores&qid=1670588154&s=industrial&sr=1-4&ts_id=10256426031

Edited by Stuart1971

58 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hi Adam, 

are you using the latest Unity software for the hub, instead of the older one you show in your image…this may make a difference…

I use the UPBv2 and with Kendrick dew bands and have no such issues, I use the Autodew feature…

Hi Stuart, I downloaded that software off the website last night just. 
I have just directly swapped out a different hub and it didn’t have any issues like this, just it was only USB2. 

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Stuart, I downloaded that software off the website last night just. 
I have just directly swapped out a different hub and it didn’t have any issues like this, just it was only USB2. 

Hmmm, not sure then, the Unity drivers and software is worth using though…as it’s the new way they Pegasus are going, with one software and driver for all there devices…

maybe worth dropping them a mail, they usually respond pretty quickly…👍🏻

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hmmm, not sure then, the Unity drivers and software is worth using though…as it’s the new way they Pegasus are going, with one software and driver for all there devices…

maybe worth dropping them a mail, they usually respond pretty quickly…👍🏻

I’m confused, I did download the unity software but also this separate program above.

The company have replied, said never seen it before and have suggested I troubleshoot it myself and let them know. Planning on trying a few things later.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I’m confused, I did download the unity software but also this separate program above.

The company have replied, said never seen it before and have suggested I troubleshoot it myself and let them know. Planning on trying a few things later.

Well, you don’t need both, you need either the stand alone software and the drivers, or the Unity driver, the Unity shows all the connected Pegasus kit in one window, and the driver works with all there devices, it scares your PC on boot up and shows all the Pegasus devices connected on different tabs, what you showed above is the old style windows app which is a bit outdated now..

Hmmm, not too helpful of them..they are normally pretty good and will suggest things to try…🤔

And congrats to me, this was my 2,000 post…😂😂

Edited by Stuart1971

I also have the PPBA2, use the Pegasus power supply and have used both RVO and W&W dew heaters. When outside using my laptop, I've never had banding appear across my laptop screen when in use. 

It may be nothing, but could you share a picture of your cable management on the telescope please?  What brand are the dew heaters? 

Here is some advice by Pegasus astro with regards to using a quality power supply and not to reel up your cables in a bunch. 

https://pegasusastro.com/cable-management-recommendations/

Edited by Richard_
Took out my question on PS as I see you are using a Nevada supply.

14 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Well, you don’t need both, you need either the stand alone software and the drivers, or the Unity driver, the Unity shows all the connected Pegasus kit in one window, and the driver works with all there devices, it scares your PC on boot up and shows all the Pegasus devices connected on different tabs, what you showed above is the old style windows app which is a bit outdated now..

Hmmm, not too helpful of them..they are normally pretty good and will suggest things to try…🤔

And congrats to me, this was my 2,000 post…😂😂

Ah makes sense!  Congrats on your 2000th post too.  Got it working last night on the latest app. Looks much nicer.

@Richard_ thanks for the link. I tried uncoiling all the wiring etc.
Unfortunately the screen banding is still there despite trying a number of things yesterday:

I tried a completely different power supply, a 240v 12v brick type one rated at 4A - this made no difference.

I unplugged everything from the Powerbox apart from one dew heater, the 12v input and a 3m Lindy USB3 cable.  I kept all the wires apart so they are physically separately by a few feet - still got the same banding.  I even tried with two more Lindy 3m USB3 cables.  No difference.

I tried 3 different dew bands, from short to long, all different brands - same banding on screen.

I’m going to try it on my laptop over the weekend.

Not really sure what else to try  

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 10:53, tooth_dr said:

Any suggestions?

I assume it is a hardware issue - the PWM frequency used for heaters outputs in Pegasus interfere somehow with your monitor. It may be okay with different monitor. If Pegasus allow to change PWM frequency you may check different ones. 

Cable management is important, but PWM outputs with simple rectangle signal and high load are often a pain. 

Edited by drjolo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I would have expected the Pegasus box should be shielding this sort of thing from happening givin the price of them. What happens if you separate the power source? Is the PC and mount all powered from the same socket? 

I tried a laptop last night and there was no banding.  I have 6 double sockets in my dome, but now you mention it, the monitor and 12v supply are off the same socket

D0E3886E-A7AC-4880-8AE9-8DEBA7E2713D.jpeg