Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another occultation effort

Nik271

Here is my bit. Canon 250 DSLR at prime focus on 127 Skymax on AZ5. I took dozens of photos, and  found a few sharp enough to beat the poor seeing. These are single frames with just a bit of sharpening in the generic windows photo editor. Should have taken RAW images but forgot, hopefully even the JPEGs are not too bad. Don't zoom in too much! 

IMG_0795.thumb.JPG.f9225d057af650ea7e92567edfe1549d.JPG

IMG_0804.thumb.JPG.f60d89cfcd87ad6aad8d11a1201ed06f.JPG

IMG_0809.thumb.JPG.ea891ce11c3480faa95575553463e119.JPG

It's very cold but at least we have clear skies, yay!!

• Like 15

Great captures Nik. Actually, if you zoom in, Mars is showing some of its features. Yes weather did not play ball this morning but at least we were not clouded out of the event  as its typical in UK fashion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Kon! It turned out better than I expected when trying to focus on the camera display this morning.

I'm really puzzled why the seeing is not good, usually high pressure and dry air over UK is a winning combination. Well, there are a few more clear nights ahead, perhaps it will improve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nik271 said:

Thanks, Kon! It turned out better than I expected when trying to focus on the camera display this morning.

I'm really puzzled why the seeing is not good, usually high pressure and dry air over UK is a winning combination. Well, there are a few more clear nights ahead, perhaps it will improve.

Very nice results! Unfortunately the moon was behind a neighbour’s house from about 4:30am onwards :(

However, I was out observing Mars before that. Here at least I think that the poor seeing was partly down to thermal turbulence. We went from about 6C to -3C in a very short space of time - unusually fast. And despite allowing my Dob to cool for an age I could see thermal disturbance when doing a star test. Mind, it did improve after mid-night as temperatures settled down, but it was still there. Still, I got some good views later on with the disc sharp and the edge of the now shrinking north polar hood really well defined. So worth braving the cold. 

• Like 1