NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which pier - Pulsar Pier or Altair Skyshed Pier?

Hi all,

As per subject title, I would be interested to hear views on these piers and which one comes out on top, through opinion and/or experience.

Both are no different in price and the fundamental difference is really that the Altair has an adjustable top plate where as the Pulsar is welded/fixed. Obviously a difference in overall design too.

Curious on views is all.

Thanks,

Jonny H

Edited by Jonny_H

• Jonny_H changed the title to Which pier - Pulsar Pier or Altair Skyshed Pier?

I have the Altair. It's really solid and as you say has an adjustable top plate that helps greatly with getting it level.  It also has a hole in the base plate so you can route all your cables through it so long as you plan the concrete base with a bit of drainpipe through the centre.

The only problem I would say is that it's not tall enough. I'm 6 foot and initially found that with the base level with the floor I had to bend too much to look through my celestron c8.  Also, as I'd built a shed around it, it was too low within the building to see over the shed walls. In the end I added another foot of concrete to the base to lift it to where I wanted it - this also meant I could lower the top plate a couple of inches to help with stability.  as the floor is decoupled from the concrete block, the rig is as solid as the concrete it's bolted to. 

The only other point to note is that the top plate is drilled for an eq6 / Advance GT mounting puck.  I had to drill new holes to mount my EQ8 adaptor. 

I've never seen the pulsar pier so can't comment but it's worth noting that although the 2 piers are the same price, the altair one comes with mounting bolts. You have to pay an additional £45 for a fitting kit for the Pular.  (if like me you plan on fixing the mounting bolts while you pour the concrete, go with the angled bolts - they'll hold much better)

Graeme

action.jpg