Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best imaging camera with Tak FSQ106 ED (non EDX)

StarWomble

Having recently acquired a lovely FSQ 106ED, I’ve been pondering my camera choice for it. I use ZWO ecosystem so it will be another ZWO camera for me. I already have a ASI2600MC pro and a ASI183MM pro.

On the basis that I will use the extender Q 1.6 from time to time, I think that for “average” seeing conditions, a camera with large-ish pixels will give me less headaches that say a full frame camera with smaller pixels (for example ASI6200) as I think I’ll end up chasing my tail with all sorts of issues. 

I think I have narrowed out down to either the ASI2400MC pro or a much cheaper option of an ASI29MC pro…

the 2400 option should be easiest to live with but the cost difference between the two is significant.

What’s the opinions of you kind folks out there?

Nor mine either sadly.

Being serious for a moment, my original point still stands that you can bin the 3.76 um pixels of the ASI 6200 x2 or x3 , still having a healthy number of megapixels in your image but giving a choice of plate scales.

I'll add that it's a pity you're locked into the ZWO ecosystem, as I would have suggested looking at the QHY variants.

Edited by DaveS

I can see your point but the ZWO ecosystem works for me right now. It just saves so much time and ‘faff’ with different applications and the fact my laptop battery wouldn’t last more than 2 hours on a charge 😞

As for the binning on a 2600, I could do that and reduce to 15mp at 2x2 but given the £1k increase in cost on the 6200 I’d find that a bit of a hard ‘sell’ not only that but the QE on the 2400 will be much higher overall.

i may still go the 294 route but at the moment thinking the 2400 would suit for what I’m trying to achieve

16 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Just use the 2600, it has a excellent sensor

I 100% agree.  It is a superb sensor.  It sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket Iain.  Use the superb cameras that you already have would be my advice here.

My opinion is that, in using a camera with a chip smaller than full frame, you are wasting a lot of what cost so much to build the scope. That large illuminated field is probably the scope's biggest single asset. I used mine with full frame and relished that vast field of view. A kind of One Shot Mosaic!

As for pixel size, with a focal length of just over 500mm, you don't have to worry about oversampling. Small pixels are good news.

I agree that the 2600 is a great sensor (we now have two here) but, in an FSQ106, I'd want full frame - especially after what I'd paid for the possibility!

Olly