Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Position of finder scope

Seoras

I’m sorry for posting so many questions lately but I have a lot to learn and everyone on this forum has been super helpful ☺️. I bought a new finder scope and on my first real stargazing night I noticed I was having difficulty seeing through it because I’m a wheelchair user and the finder was mounted just a bit too high on my telescope for comfort. I have moved it to a lower position on the scope but wanted to ask if this will be ok before my next viewing session so that I can put it back to the top. I’ve attached a photo so you can see what I mean,

regards, Geo

F102C3DA-C42C-416D-BD91-374D0D6B646B.jpeg

My RACI is in a very similar position on my Mak. As long as you can line it up to point in the same direction as the scope, it will be fine.

The only time that it makes a difference is when you're trying to find an object that's just above your local horizon (in my case, the garden fence). In that case, my goto will leave the finder pointing at the top of the fence, but the scope could see the target, provided I can locate it without the finder. You still have the red dot on top to help.

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2022 at 12:49, Seoras said:

Thanks Philip, what is the scope on the right?

Hi Geo.

It is a TeleVue Ranger... 480/70mm semi-achro mounted on a Tele-Optic Giro GR-DX ll.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a wheelchair user. I have 4 scopes including the 8Se (yours looks like an 8Se).

I wish I had some advice, but I never use an RDF or finder scope. 

If using a Go-To scope, I just align it to a planetary object. If using a manual scope, I just point it anywhere and search for objects.

• Like 1

Paul, would a Celestron Starsense Explorer (CSE) scope work for you?  It's quicker and easier than Go-To.  It would also be more accurate for you as well as only a one star alignment is needed anyway.  This is because it uses plate solving to determine where it's pointing. Like you I just use a planet though.   

With the latest update it's got a huge number of objects in its database.  However, it doesn't track.

With a simple mod the CSE can be transferred from scope to scope via finder shoes.

Edited by Second Time Around
Deleted "work" by mistake

12 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Paul, would a Celestron Starsense Explorer (CSE) scope work for you?  It's quicker and easier than Go-To.  It would also be more accurate for you as well as only a one star alignment is needed anyway.  This is because it uses plate solving to determine where it's pointing. Like you I just use a planet though.   

With the latest update it's got a huge number of objects in its database.  However, it doesn't track.

With a simple mod the CSE can be transferred from scope to scope via finder shoes.

I had to Google CSE. I have Stellarium on my phone if I need reference points to navigate. 

I'm happy plodding along with things as they are.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

as for hedges getting in the road of a low finder scope, the opposite happens with a top mounted finder scope. a high finder will see targets over the roof of houses and trees lol, but your scope may not. lol. we cant win.