Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 22 November 2022

Kon

Fantastic clear skies tonight but awful unstable atmosphere with blowy winds. No jet stream but probably cold fronts mixing with the warmer air made a mess of seeing. Despite that, I managed 2x4min captures, derotated in winjupos. 8" Dob, manual, asi 462mc, 2.5x TV powermate. 150% resized.

image.png.f0fb5318bf9162809385e2da953d9d62.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Kon said:

Fantastic clear skies tonight but awful unstable atmosphere with blowy winds. No jet stream but probably cold fronts mixing with the warmer air made a mess of seeing. Despite that, I managed 2x4min captures, derotated in winjupos. 8" Dob, manual, asi 462mc, 2.5x TV powermate. 150% resized.

image.png.f0fb5318bf9162809385e2da953d9d62.png

Saw the gap in the jet stream wondered if it would be calmer. So interesting report, Still got some good detail despite the seeing. Really hope this bad spell doesn't last too long.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Saw the gap in the jet stream wondered if it would be calmer. So interesting report, Still got some good detail despite the seeing. Really hope this bad spell doesn't last too long.

I saw the gap and excellent transparency that's why I got out. Jupiter was a total mess, I was hoping to do more CH4 tests. Earlier in the day, we had a mild weather but by late afternoon it was getting much colder so it must have been air currents mixing/turbulence.

We seem to have a never ending bad weather this year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice image @Kon! I observed it last night at the same time and got some great views despite the blustery conditions. Seeing wasn’t great, great to see confirmation of what I saw, thanks 👍

Thanks Stu. I am glad you managed some time out.  I think for DSO, the weather was good; I had a quick pick on M42 that showed nice extended nebulosity, pleiades and M31 with dust lanes. On the eyepiece Jupiter was awful and Mars fairly fuzzy (I must have got the better seeing during imaging).

21 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Nice Mars Kostas, no sign of any gaps here, just wall to wall clouds. As @neil phillips says, we a need a break in this God awful weather soon…. 🤞

Fingers crossed. It seems the East of UK is getting the worst of this weather, at least I am getting some gaps for imaging. Opposition is not too far away so i keep my fingers crossed for all of us.

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stu. I am glad you managed some time out.  I think for DSO, the weather was good; I had a quick pick on M42 that showed nice extended nebulosity, pleiades and M31 with dust lanes. On the eyepiece Jupiter was awful and Mars fairly fuzzy (I must have got the better seeing during imaging).

Yes, Jupiter was pretty poor for me. I saw the GRS when it was central but once it got closer to the limb I couldn’t spot it at all. I’ve seen Mars much better, but Syrtis Major was very well positioned so worth the time. I agree, stars were thinking a lot but the transparency was very good, probably the rain washing the muck out of the atmosphere. The 8” f8 was bouncing around in the wind at times which didn’t help!

• Like 1