Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

32mm OVL Panaview vs 25mm Starguider?

sorrimen

Hi all

Currently own the 25mm BST Starguider, which is noticeably the weakest of the lineup. Wondering if anyone’s compared these two/has an opinion on what will be better for me. Got a standard 8” dob, and live in rather polluted skies (B7ish) so I’m wondering whether the 10x difference in mag will have a noticeable effect on views. The wider view would be good but only if it’s as good optically and the sky glow doesn’t have too negative an effect. I’ve heard the panaview can be a bit soft at the edges, but so can the BST so how do they compare?

TIA

Ross

I can't give a comparison, I'm afraid, but I have the 32mm Panaview and a couple of EPs around the 25mm mark.

The Panaview was my first venture into 2" EPs and I loved it and has lead me down the 82º EP route.

Yes, it's a little soft around the edges, but it's not bad for the money.

If you want something better corrected, you need to pay 2x or 3x the money and more if you want to and can afford it.

The difference in FOV, however, is super! :D

For me, the 82º EPs just frame things in an altogether more enjoyable way.

Yes, I know, that's completely down to the individual, but if you think you might like the experience then it's worth a go.

They are obviously cheaper second hand!

You're not close enough for me to offer to show you unfortunately. :D

My Panaview only got superseded by the Meade which was an end of line deal and too good to miss! ;)

Edited by bingevader
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bingevader said:

I can't give a comparison, I'm afraid, but I have the 32mm Panaview and a couple of EPs around the 25mm mark.

The Panaview was my first venture into 2" EPs and I loved it and has lead me down the 82º EP route.

Yes, it's a little soft around the edges, but it's not bad for the money.

If you want something better corrected, you need to pay 2x or 3x the money and more if you want to and can afford it.

The difference in FOV, however, is super! :D

For me, the 82º EPs just frame things in an altogether more enjoyable way.

Yes, I know, that's completely down to the individual, but if you think you might like the experience then it's worth a go.

They are obviously cheaper second hand!

You're not close enough for me to offer to show you unfortunately. :D

My Panaview only got superseded by the Meade which was an end of line deal and too good to miss! ;)

That seems to be what I’m hearing; much more money for better correction! Thankfully, even if it’s as only as good %-wise as the Starguider then it will outperform it just because of the wider aFOV. 

82 degrees seems to be around my sweet spot too 😁 Feel in love with a morpheus when I looked through it and I’m pretty hooked, despite not owning any!

Kind offer to show me, but yes south wales is a little out the way from London 😉

Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

Wow, someone is asking £70 for one which almost the new price when VAT is removed (£74).  Unless that person is collecting VAT, that is ridiculous.  In the US, we always price used equipment against the new, without tax, price.

It’s certainly a high price, especially as there’s another right below it for £59 (still a little high imo as most I’ve seen sell for £50). In fairness everything here is always priced with tax included so it doesn’t really come into mind when selling used, but I still think if you’re selling second hand at more expensive than a 20% discount <£100 would be you’re overpriced! 

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

In the US, we always price used equipment against the new,

I've always thought that a bit of a tricky one too though.

It depends when the 'new' price was. ;)

Thankfully, very few on here, but after the recent price hike, there were adverts for second hand EPs that were clearly at least a year old, but still marked as a saving on the price of a new one.

I looked a couple up as I was interested in them and they were charging more than they'd bought them for! 🙄

7 hours ago, rwilkey said:

In f/5 and similar scopes the 32mm Panaview is soft at the edges but absolutely stunning on-axis.  It was the first upgrade I ever bought for my 200P and led me down the 82º route, just like Bingevader above.

Same with the 30mm 80 degree WideScan III clones.  It has horrible field curvature leaving the outer 50% blurry.  However, the central 50% is pin sharp.  It's noticeably sharper than the 30mm ES-82 in that area.  By over-correcting refractor field curvature, I discovered it actually has fairly low astigmatism in the outer 50%.  If it was sold with a field flattening group ahead of the field stop, it would be a real contender.