Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filter recommendations

MG01

I may have just 'accidentally' won a bid on an atik 383L+ and would appreciate some recommendations for 2" filters as my experience is pretty much all with DSLR so far.  TIA!

EDIT...sorry I forgot to say my targets are DSO's, primarily emission and reflection nebulae and galaxies.

Edited by MG01
added detail

1 hour ago, MG01 said:

I may have just 'accidentally' won a bid on an atik 383L+ and would appreciate some recommendations for 2" filters as my experience is pretty much all with DSLR so far.  TIA!

EDIT...sorry I forgot to say my targets are DSO's, primarily emission and reflection nebulae and galaxies.

I rate Astronomik filters, personally. I think they're the next best thing the Chroma/Astrodon (that said, I've never tried Antlia). A full suite of 2" filters are going to be pretty pricey no matter the brand, but given the relatively small size of the sensor, I think you'll probably be able to get away with smaller ones - this tool can advise if you enter your equipment details: https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_filter_size

• Like 1

I thought the 383L was marginal regarding the need for 2 inch filters but look this up. My memory... :D

Personally, I think Baader LRGB are fine and sensibly priced. I've processed Astrodon LRGB data and not felt I was missing anything. I'm also a bit biased against Astronomik, having been stung by their totally trashy and disposable flat panels. The Baader 7nm Ha is also OK but I also have an Astrodon 3nm which is much better. As it bleedin' well should be at the price! OIII is always tricky. I've had two Baaders and two Astronomiks and none of them was really much good. Halos...

Safest all round bet at normal prices? Baader.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

thought the 383L was marginal regarding the need for 2 inch filters but look this up. My memory... 

The 383L works perfectly ok with 1.25” filters as long as you don’t go mad with the F ratio. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I need to do a little figuring out with my image train moving from DSLR to CCD!  I do have a SX filter wheel with 2" carousel at the moment as I was using it for LP filter for a full frame canon...but it may be cheaper to get a new carousel and smaller filters than a full set of LRGBs at 2"

Out of interest for Oiii & Ha do you add these to LRGB or does the filter replace one of the 'channels'

2 minutes ago, MG01 said:

Out of interest for Oiii & Ha do you add these to LRGB or does the filter replace one of the 'channels

You can use Ha and Oiii independently or along with the LRGB data.

You should be able to get a 7x1.25” carousel so can use LRGB HaOiiiSi filters.  The Baader 1.25” versions can be got very reasonably these days 

• Thanks 1

Filters last for ever, so if you want to be future proof and like many go for an APS-C sized CMOS camera at some point, the 2" will be the way to go and then you do not need to invest in an new filter wheel now.

• Like 1

I’ve used an Atik 383 with 1.25” filters on a F7 Esprit 150 with no issues, but Goran has a point regarding the future proofing of your set up. Having said that, a lot of folks go with the OSC version of the CMOS IMX571 sensor, and you would only need to purchase two 2” filters to use with it to cover both RGB and Narrowband.

So many choices…

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gorann said:

Filters last for ever

I'm not sure that is the case anymore, as there are many new developments in filters recently that leave some of the older filters looking pretty poor indeed.  I've upgraded to Chroma, but there is no way I would have started there.  You can pick up 1.25" filters for very little now.  Buy a used set then sell for little loss if you upgrade in the future.  Plus he doesnt need a new FW now, just a new carousel or 3d print some adapters.  I'm running 36mm filters in my 2" EFW3 via 3d printed adapers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

OIII is always tricky. I've had two Baaders and two Astronomiks and none of them was really much good. Halos...

Interesting - I've not noticed a halo problem with mine so far. I have some data on the jellyfish from a few months ago I've not yet gotten around to processing, that'll probably be the first proper test with a big bright star in the frame. I may well come back and change my mind then!!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone....I need to figure out the distances in the image train but hopefully the new cam will be fine with smaller filters.  

Are Adapters a thing or is that only when you know a bloke with a 3D printer? 😝

Folks on here into 3D printing will answer that one, but I think FLO still send a lot of metal screwed adapters out the door…

Just be aware you will have an expensive camera, filters and filter wheel hanging off a few mm of fine thread and personally I would prefer them to be made out of metal rather than a thermopolymer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomato said:

Folks on here into 3D printing will answer that one, but I think FLO still send a lot of metal screwed adapters out the door…

Just be aware you will have an expensive camera, filters and filter wheel hanging off a few mm of fine thread and personally I would prefer them to be made out of metal rather than a thermopolymer.

I should have been more specific....I was thinking adaptors to screw into my SX 2" filter wheel carousel to enable it to take 1.25" filters.  Ain't no way I'm not going with metal for anything that's taking weight!  Unless it's some form of fancy space polymer or carbon fibre...maybe then if someone else is paying! 😆

Ok, sorry I misunderstood.  Users of 3D printers have come up with numerous ingenious items to aid this hobby, the  filter adapters you describe being one of them. You are right though,  to date I haven’t seen many 3D printed optical train screw together adapters…

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MG01 said:

Thanks everyone....I need to figure out the distances in the image train but hopefully the new cam will be fine with smaller filters.  

Are Adapters a thing or is that only when you know a bloke with a 3D printer? 😝

FLO sell them but they're pretty pricy, especially if you're filling a whole filter wheel https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-2-125-filter-adapter-ring.html

Still, a lot cheaper than 2" filters though!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

FLO sell them but they're pretty pricy, especially if you're filling a whole filter wheel https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-2-125-filter-adapter-ring.html

Still, a lot cheaper than 2" filters though!

The SX 1.23" carousel would be cheapest option then...@ONLY £45... :)

gotta love astronomy...I'm about to buy a £17 clone of the celestron vibration suppression pads....will they be as good?  maybe not.  Are the originals 4x better?  will be hard to tell I guess yay!

I have to say I tried fully 3d printed holders and didnt have success, so I ended up buying cheap 2" filters, scrapping the filter, and printing an insert to step down the diameter of the metal holder to accommodate a 36mm filter.  I am mixing 2" and 36mm filters in a carousel so this was the only option.  If I was using all the same 36mm filters, I would buy a new carousel.

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I have to say I tried fully 3d printed holders and didnt have success, so I ended up buying cheap 2" filters, scrapping the filter, and printing an insert to step down the diameter of the metal holder to accommodate a 36mm filter.  I am mixing 2" and 36mm filters in a carousel so this was the only option.  If I was using all the same 36mm filters, I would buy a new carousel.

I think the new carousel is where I'm heading...I'd worry about getting adaptors that positioned all the filters in the same plane.  Not much point paying for parfocal filters if the holders mess that up.

Out of interest what combination of filters would you go for?

I'm leaning towards Ha, OIII, and SII.  Possibly with some form of parfocal clear or LP filter for general luminance.  DOes that seem sensible or am I better just sticking to LRGB to begin with?

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently moved to mono imaging and went with 2” Antlia LRGB filters and a 2” Antlia 3nm Ha filter.  I have been pleased with their performance so far.  I have stuck to LRGB in the first instance, with some Ha to supplement the red channel, as I have found that there is so much to learn when moving to mono.  I plan to get the 2” Antlia OIII and SII once I have some experience with LR(Ha)GB and my bank balance has recovered 😳

• Thanks 1

Thanks AMcD....as it turns out I made a mistake and ended up with a colour CCD...so I'm probably going to hold off on the filters for now until I decide if I'm going to keep the camera.  But if I do I'll probably go with something like the l-extreme dual band filter to keep it simple.  Not as flexible as mono though so may endup going that route if funds are available in the newyear. 

• Like 1