Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn (6/10/22)

Kon

Despite the strong winds last night the seeing was very stable and no boiling effects. The Dob was vibrating quite a lot but i still managed some fairly ok images. Unfortunately the clouds ruined the fun. Jupiter and Saturn (in IR as well). 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate. I did struggle with the colour balance of Jupiter on this capture. The Saturn in IR might be my best as I can see the Cassini division around. (updated post:) Jupiter in IR is also bringing more details out.

image.png.4d088302a11579835dafdc28546d1721.pngimage.png.1c2ccd60176e0618cfd0d9f6c8fe7f91.png

image.png.a5ccab585899a63657f39815bcca3343.pngimage.png.977867c71055cef567a925f2da82f64f.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 9

Thanks for sharing.

I Like the detail on the IR Saturn, seems to have depth to it. 

Jupiter looks a bit cold/blue?, I know you must have done this already, but an RGB balance fixed it for me. 

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Nice Captures. Your IR Saturn's are cutting through a lot better than RGB Arnt they ?

Thanks Neil. I think i should give up on Saturn; even with stable seeing focusing was not easy. The IR did look much better. I forgot that I also shot Jupiter in IR and it brings out more details (I will update the post). 

image.png.fd25ee3cfde225dbccb67d113770a9b2.png

35 minutes ago, Laurieast said:

Thanks for sharing.

I Like the detail on the IR Saturn, seems to have depth to it. 

Jupiter looks a bit cold/blue?, I know you must have done this already, but an RGB balance fixed it for me. 

The initial colour balance was giving everything a yellow hue. On my monitor this is close to white.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Nicely done Kon, the IR on Saturn makes all the difference. Looks to have worked pretty well on Jupiter too, but I like the RGB that you got, well done.

Thanks Geof.  I prefer the colour one too but it does bring some more of the clouds out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Thanks Geof.  I prefer the colour one too but it does bring some more of the clouds out. 

You could try to layer the IR as luminence, but you have to be careful as it can really mess with the colours. Another way is to split the R+G out of the RGB and use those as luminence. G is best if sharp enough as it preserves the colours best, but R is likely to be sharper. It's usually the blue channel that ruins the sharpness in the RGB images.

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

You could try to layer the IR as luminence, but you have to be careful as it can really mess with the colours. Another way is to split the R+G out of the RGB and use those as luminence. G is best if sharp enough as it preserves the colours best, but R is likely to be sharper. It's usually the blue channel that ruins the sharpness in the RGB images.

Thanks for the suggestions. For Jupiter I will need to derotate them as they are taken a few minutes apart. For Saturn I did it and it looked a bit more tidy. I somehow prefer seeing them side by side than merging them; saying that I will probably message you regarding the channel splitting. I have done it before but not sure how to proceed from there.

• Like 1