NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next telescope - upgrade from Heritage 150

Just now, craftui said:

How much crispier? I'd love to see comparison sketches if anyone has done those. Or a video through an eyepiece. 

If only I could rent a 102mm f7 ED/Apo refractor but no one seems to offer that here in Cambridge. 

Find a star party and look through one for free.  

7 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

So you still paid twice as much to get a view that that the newt wasnt far behind.  

Yes, but the refractor was bought first, then I got aperture fever and bought the Newtonian and SCT a few years later but also for the increased focal length. We're talking hundreds here, not thousands. I generally like newtonians but my refractor setup (all AP stuff, power, mount, everything) fits into one bag I can carry on my back. I stick to this ethos so don't go overboard on larger (8 inch plus) scopes which require more space, larger mounts etc and more trips in/out to setup (I setup fresh every time). Trips to dark skies, I just load the one bag and I'm ready to go.

13 minutes ago, Elp said:

Yes, but the refractor was bought first, then I got aperture fever and bought the Newtonian and SCT a few years later but also for the increased focal length. We're talking hundreds here, not thousands. I generally like newtonians but my refractor setup (all AP stuff, power, mount, everything) fits into one bag I can carry on my back. I stick to this ethos so don't go overboard on larger (8 inch plus) scopes which require more space, larger mounts etc and more trips in/out to setup (I setup fresh every time). Trips to dark skies, I just load the one bag and I'm ready to go.

And you were lucky enough to find good used stuff.  Which is cool.  But we cant always be so lucky. 

I do wonder about a premium Dob for OP. Something that's optically and mechanically a cut above the usual Skywatcher ones. Or perhaps an ultralight one. I'm not sure what good ones are available in the UK though. If diffraction spikes are bugging you curved spider vanes are the solution to that - this can be done as a modification if it's not factory supplied.

Not much good for imaging, though planetary is possible with an EQ platform.

Ok... I am going to be the guy to throw out the reality check here.  No offence meant to anyone with this.  The scope you are looking for.... Doesnt exist.  Sure a C 9.25 is a decent catch all but now you have seriously headed into money.  Its not just the scope, its the mount which can cost as much as if not more then the scope itself.  This is why you see so many of us with large aperture dobs.  They are cheaper, give us all sorts of light and break down easily.  It seems you are afraid of a 8 inch dob.  Dont be.  Add a couple cheap handles to the base for easy lifting and they make lifting straps for the  OTA every day.  What does a OTA for a 8 inch weigh?  20 pounds?  The base might go 30?  These are easily liftable by anyone that doesnt have a disability.  The truth is, and again, no offence, decide what you want to do, how much your budget is and we can go from there. 

Indeed. The first couple of scopes I bought were no good but they were cheap from the usual online stores. Would definitely recommend buying from a proper astro shop, or from someone who can describe fully with a passion how they've used the scope, any issues they've encountered and how they've resolved them. Someone who has genuinely taken care of their equipment and used it will talk with passion about their kit and honestly. All my scopes have been bought used since the refractor.

I was going to suggest a collapsible truss/dob purely for the aperture, it'll be much easier if it's a prebuilt one though and cost less. Most expectations will be tempered by local environmental conditions though which should be put into consideration first.

Edited by Elp

Some interesting aspects of the similar "aperture fever" are discussed here:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/827560-so-whats-the-opposite-of-aperture-fever/

Quoted from that:

"However, satisfaction is not an external force with an external solution. It's found inside ourselves when we stop relying in our equipment to show us anything and take responsibility for what we see. A funny thing happens on the journey to actually learning to use our scopes through experience and training. We realize the best accessory we can invest in to see more in whatever scope we have is free of charge. It's not (really) the equipment. It's us. Of course, better equipment is better, so by all means get it if you want or need it. Just don't forget observing is a very personal human endeavor. That's when aperture fever fades, that's the cure. The opposite."

So, don't just expect better views with a new telescope, but learn to view better (=more eyepiece time, at best under dark skies) with your very capable 6" Heritage; that's the way to more satisfaction. Every scope has it's sky.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 3

Dear all, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to this topic. I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge, opinions and experiences. 

I have a much better understanding of my options now, so I’m going to take some time to reflect on them and do a bit more research. 

Thanks again for being generous with your time and knowledge, I’m so happy and grateful to have discovered this community 🙏😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, craftui said:

Dear all, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to this topic. I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge, opinions and experiences. 

I have a much better understanding of my options now, so I’m going to take some time to reflect on them and do a bit more research. 

Thanks again for being generous with your time and knowledge, I’m so happy and grateful to have discovered this community 🙏😊

From my part, you're very welcome. There's nothing worse than seeing someone buy the wrong scope for themselves, getting disheartened and giving up the hobby.

• Like 1

You could hire a 10” dob for a couple of weeks to see how you get on. I’ve been thinking of doing this myself with a 12”, here’s a possible provider who is not far away  ……

https://www.darkskytelescopehire.co.uk/telescopes-for-hire/250mm-skywatcher-dobsonian-reflector-telescope

Personally, I think that even if you find the increase in aperture doesn’t show you enough of a difference, the move to a closed tube dobsonian with a better focuser will really improve your viewing pleasure and allow you to achieve more with those lovely Nagler eyepieces. 

• Like 3