NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS and a shadow transit

Pixies

Excellent, have also been following this, gradually gaining in prominence using my 85mm refractor. The SEB is very subtle tonight, yet have gained good steady mag using 4mm and 3.5mm eyepieces.   

• Like 1

The beginning of this transit was spectacular. It looked like something had taken a little nibble of Jupiter’s limb as the shadow moved onto the face. Real nice viewing conditions and Io is remaining visible on the disc due to it transiting in front of the SEB. Gutted I can’t stay up to watch it finish around 1:30am.

Managed to get Jupiter’s brightness under control with a variable polarising filter, looked beautiful at 171-120x. Still preferred the Tak and 4mm TOE though 😅.

• Like 2

Really nice transit isn't it! The shadow very penetrating and defined, lovely clarity in both the North and South Equatorial belts. Taking high power in my 85mm refractor really well, with the South Polar Region visible to. 

• Like 2

The seeing was really poor earlier for the GRS, but is superb now for the Io transit which I am following.  Terrific detail in the main equatorial bands with quite prominent banding above and below them.  Can pick out only one white oval at the moment.

• Like 2

I had missed the GRS, from my backyard, Jupiter has to be climbing south to adequately appear above the roof tops, so a late start. As you say though, a period of superb seeing and very captivating sharply defined banding within the South Temperate region. Pretty sure I could make out festoon activity within both the North and South Belt. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Really nice transit isn't it! The shadow very penetrating and defined, lovely clarity in both the North and South Equatorial belts. Taking high power in my 85mm refractor really well, with the South Polar Region visible to. 

Amazing what a small scope can show you isn’t it? My 76mm really held its own against the 200P. Use of a polarising filter on the dob definitely showed more but not by much and both scopes were a joy to use. My small frac copes with the changeable seeing much better.

• Like 1