Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is a ZWO 30mm f4 guide scope great with a 72ed ds pro?

A lot of people do use them with all sorts of scopes. The focus mechanism is awkward though as you screw in or out the front lens and it takes an absolute age if you're doing it fresh at night due to it being a fine thread, I've lost many a time trying to find stars as I setup every session. Now I just keep a camera in it permanently. Best to set it up roughly during the day. If you're looking at it save a lot of money and buy the svbony version which looks exactly the same. You will get a better view of stars if you can bump up to a 50mm aperture like I did afterward.

2 hours ago, Elp said:

A lot of people do use them with all sorts of scopes. The focus mechanism is awkward though as you screw in or out the front lens and it takes an absolute age if you're doing it fresh at night due to it being a fine thread, I've lost many a time trying to find stars as I setup every session. Now I just keep a camera in it permanently. Best to set it up roughly during the day. If you're looking at it save a lot of money and buy the svbony version which looks exactly the same. You will get a better view of stars if you can bump up to a 50mm aperture like I did afterward.

Should i get an off brand guidescope like this for example?

51xewl-wjnL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

2 hours ago, WilliamAstro said:

Should i get an off brand guidescope like this for example?

Either would work fine with your scope. The small f4 scopes are fine for shorter focal length imaging and are small and light - and if you focus them as in daylight as Elp suggests they are fine. The larger 50mm scope will give more scope for longer FL imaging later, but you might need a larger mount (assuming it is being used with the SA 2i)

I've got a similar 50mm like that one, the helical focuser does help a lot and quickens the setup if you're doing it from scratch every time. As @Clarkey has mentioned, you will need to consider the added weight, it was a significant change with my setup which also needed added counterweight to balance it, but I also changed the position on top of the scope so the added accessories also affected it.

For guide scope suitability it is best to check at: http://astronomy.tools/calculators/guidescope_suitability. Historically, the rule of thumb for guide scope focal lengths was about ⅓ of the focal length of the primary imaging telescope. Your setup (72ED and ZWO 30) gives the imaging / guiding ratio of 1:3.5.
However, before you decide on ZWO guide scope take a look at the video below.

Also if you are not in a hurry, SVBONY can be found from time to time at discount prices in SVBONY store on amazon. I picket it up for € 40.

image.png.b8f4898064982719cb999b032fb25abf.png

After watching that video above it was no brainer compared to ZWO for € 138 at the time.

image.png.f6fb0576d2e53783751cc77cd3f5adb6.png

Please note that it was some time ago and I got it at some deal (Prime day or something...)

Edited by Dark Raven

I've got the SVBONY one.  It's built like a brick proverbial.  Except the screws that clamp it which are pants.  But for the price it's a great bargain.  Focus takes an age the first time but I leave my camera in and haven't moved it in months.

Got mine of AliExpress where the prices can be very up and down.  I got mine for £42 in June 

The clamp screws on the rings sheared off in my SV Boner. The camera clamp is wonky. It works however. Focus in advance in daytime and mark the camera location in the Bony sleeve with tape

I've upgraded my set up to an Askar 180 and ZWO 178mm, multi star guiding, focusing is a doddle, sharp stars across the field and guiding significantly improved based on reported RMS values. Overkill for a 72mm scope though ;)