NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dust in Auriga - a quite boring image

gorann

Unfortunately this turned out to be a rather boring image. I saw some structure in this area when surfing in Aladin Sky Atlas and hoped for some interesting Ha and Oiii signals there so I used the NBZ filter. However, it ended up to be rather colourless. The dust structures may not have any designations and the plate-solve on Astrobin only found stars to designate. I assume what we are looking at is IFN (Integrated Flux Nebulosity) and I am a bit impressed that it was picked up by the NBZ filter, but then the RASA8-ASI2600MC is a very effective combo.

Imaged with a dual-RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ filter. All on a Mesu 200. 122 x 5 min, so 10.2 hours. Processed in PI and PS (Starless of course before bringing the stars back).

Cheers, Göran

20220920 NGC1883 RASA1+2 PS18smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 12.37.12.png

• Like 8

Not entirely boring. You have a tiny supernova  in the image. It's in the fuzzy patch approximately mid between HD 38287 and HD 38449. The fuzzy patch is galaxy 2MFGC 4706. The SN has id SN 2003hz. The galaxy is roughly 270-300 Mly distant

Right next to star HD 39044 there is also a very interesting pair of interacting galaxies

MCG+08-11-010

UZC J055212.3+465020

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we have different definitions of boring...

Accidental IFN capture? Definitely not boring. Maybe visually not that striking, but fairly interesting still. I do wonder how dramatic the structures would become without the NBZ filter though, as if its just IFN there should be loads more signal without the filter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I think we have different definitions of boring...

Accidental IFN capture? Definitely not boring. Maybe visually not that striking, but fairly interesting still. I do wonder how dramatic the structures would become without the NBZ filter though, as if its just IFN there should be loads more signal without the filter.

Thanks and Yes, I think the same - could have been quite an image without the NBZ filters. So I wonder if I should give it a go whenever the sky clears again - but no prospects of that in the current weather report for the next week......

Reminds me of days long ago school chemistry making iron (III) hydroxide. It’s not boring and it’s certainly quite a technical feat to capture it in such depth and  detail, but I can’t help labelling it IGC, or Inter Galactic Crud.😉

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wimvb said:

Not entirely boring. You have a tiny supernova  in the image. It's in the fuzzy patch approximately mid between HD 38287 and HD 38449. The fuzzy patch is galaxy 2MFGC 4706. The SN has id SN 2003hz. The galaxy is roughly 270-300 Mly distant

Right next to star HD 39044 there is also a very interesting pair of interacting galaxies

MCG+08-11-010

UZC J055212.3+465020

Here are two crops of the galaxies found by Wim. So not entirely boring. And clearly there are even more galaxies there:

20220920 NGC1883 RASA2 PS5c(galazy 2MFGC 4706).jpg

20220920 NGC1883 RASA1+2 galaxies.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Might there be a whiff of something unusual creeping into the image from the bottom edge, half way along? Slight patch of nebulosity, redder on the right, bluer on the left?

Olly

Yes, I noticed that and I have to check that it is not an artifact from the oil I just noticed were creeping up on the sensor on one of the cameras. It is the second time it happened to that camera and I will have to send it to TS again🥴. So I will have to have a closer look on the data from the camera that is ok.