NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reprocess of Jupiter with Topaz Denoise

Kon

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

Ok, i had a play again and I agree that the original ones were over processed. What are your thoughts on these two. I think I am drawn to the second one although the first is more natural looking? Second is a blend of the first image below and my oversharpenned i posted at the start of the thread from registax. Topaz denoise doesn't make much of a difference in these softer images.

image.png.897925669745c379aaea4eaf664bf267.png       image.png.6ae16d912462812604dbc30b22793f4e.png

Those are much better to my eyes, the first one for me I think, very nicely done, could probably stand a saturation boost to make it come alive 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kon said:

Ok, i had a play again and I agree that the original ones were over processed. What are your thoughts on these two. I think I am drawn to the second one although the first is more natural looking? Second is a blend of the first image below and my oversharpenned i posted at the start of the thread from registax. Topaz denoise doesn't make much of a difference in these softer images.

image.png.897925669745c379aaea4eaf664bf267.png       image.png.6ae16d912462812604dbc30b22793f4e.png

First has that overall balanced look to me. But both look good. second sharper more detail and contrast. But slightly less natural

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kon said:

better?

image.png.fffc317beefbe4902f527f00ce956640.png

Trouble with saturation as you found out on my first attempt (which I am glad I redid btw) it can lean the overall colour balance more heavily into the blue. you rarely get something for nothing in this arena. Possibly a slight blue drop may have helped after the saturation. On occassion it can sometimes then lean in a different direction. red. or green. let's see. Also, something else that can happen. Is you start to get colour prismatic effects happening. The more you heavily saturate. 

Edited by neil phillips

27 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Trouble with saturation as you found out on my first attempt (which I am glad I redid btw) it can lean the overall colour balance more heavily into the blue. you rarely get something for nothing in this arena. Possibly a slight blue drop may have helped after the saturation. On occassion it can sometimes then lean in a different direction. red. or green. let's see. Also, something else that can happen. Is you start to get colour prismatic effects happening. The more you heavily saturate. 

Thanks, I found that it was harder to get the colour balance. I tried in Astrosurface but it was leaning towards the orange hue.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Looks great, thanks.

Beware of both colour balance changing with saturation. And colour noise creeping in. The colour noise looks just like classic prism effects. You see it on the leading edge of detail the more  heavily you saturate. So that alone is worth learning on this thread. Hope it's useful

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

Beware of both colour balance changing with saturation. And colour noise creeping in. The colour noise looks just like classic prism effects. You see it on the leading edge of detail the more  heavily you saturate. So that alone is worth learning on this thread. Hope it's useful

You are right, a lot of new things to take into account for the next process from this thread.

Thanks everybody for input and suggestions.

Just now, Kon said:

You are right, a lot of new things to take into account for the next process from this thread.

Thanks everybody for input and suggestions.

Along the way you're getting better. And you're learning to use your eyes to do it. That is the biggest trick to learn. Using your eyes. You're now doing that, so you have progressed a ton. But don't get too down beat when you make a bad choice. I still do it all the time. I did on my first attempt on your shot. Though I am glad to say I corrected that quite well the second try. But the point is. Even after many years of planetary imaging. It's still easy to [removed word] it up. We are all human. Not robots thankfully. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Along the way you're getting better. And you're learning to use your eyes to do it. That is the biggest trick to learn. Using your eyes. You're now doing that, so you have progressed a ton. But don't get too down beat when you make a bad choice. I still do it all the time. I did on my first attempt on your shot. Though I am glad to say I corrected that quite well the second try. But the point is. Even after many years of planetary imaging. It's still easy to [removed word] it up. We are all human. Not robots thankfully. 

No down beat at all. I am enjoying the process and feedback. I do that to others in my line of work so I am glad to have this here.

I am sure I will make more bad images than good ones but I will learn along the way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maurizio83 said:

I had never heard of this tool. Thanks Kon. It seems to have considerable potential! Is there only the paid version or is there something similar also as a GIMP plugin or standalone tool?

There is aPS plugin but you need to pay. You can download and use it with full functionality for free and save images but it adds a logo over the image until you pay for it.