Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone still doing video?

lvan

I’m still rocking the LN300 on a 7” LCD with a powerbank velcro’d to my mount.
I work on a laptop all day, so taking one into the “field” is not my idea of a good time.  Each to their own. Anyway, it would be nice to know I’m not alone. Anyone else out there still doing video astronomy?

Would be great to hear about your rig!

Edited by lvan

14 hours ago, lvan said:

I work on a laptop all day

Me too, and strangely enough this is one of the reasons I was attracted to EAA, as I found the post-processing aspect of imaging too much after a long week of using the laptop. I do use the laptop for EAA in the field though, so I’m afraid I can’t share my experiences of video astronomy. Sounds like a nice relaxing way to do EAA though. 

4 hours ago, RobertI said:

Sounds like a nice relaxing way to do EAA though. 

It is. If it's not simple stupid, i ain't gonna do it.

If i were to stumble upon this now, the mere mention of lodestars, laptops and software would be a turn off.

For now i guess it's just me and my mate Wilson...hope he doesn't wash away.

I'm not sure whether it should be called video astronomy or EAA, but I've started experimenting with an astro camera and laptop over the summer. I'm using a 72mm F6 APO refractor on an AZ GOTO mount connected to the laptop via USB which i running SharpCap. My aim is to get close to real time images. So short exposure times and live stacking, and certainly live video for setting up and framing the image. Does that count?

So far I'm seeing way more than I can through an eyepiece, and it is nice to be able to observe from inside, without having to worry about dark adaption, and to share the experience.

• Like 1

I haven't done any, but I've been researching video observing for awhile.  My main reason, aside from horrendous light pollution at home, is that I don't want to deal with dragging out my laptop to observe.  I'm not inclined to deal with flats and darks and plate solving and yadda yadda yadda.  I'd like to just point my scope on a manual mount and see what the camera shows me. 

People have suggested nightvision devices to get enhanced realtime views, but the prices for NV are way beyond my hobby budget.

I'd probably go with one of the smaller Malincams since the Revolution II has gotten relatively poor reviews.

Edited by jjohnson3803

These days, you'd need to define "Video"? lol. Sometimes think I was "seduced" far too EARLY? 🥳
But I still have my Watec internal integrating Cameras - Around here somewhere. Were it not
for "real life stuff", I might have followed the TRENDS re. technology / ideas? 😉

These days, it's more of "hybrid thing"? Ever closer to *conventional* imaging?
The appeal of "doing something different", rather less, these days? 🤔
Sadly, "Video" CHIP technology is a thing of the past too?

Edited by Macavity

8 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

I'm not sure whether it should be called video astronomy or EAA, but I've started experimenting with an astro camera and laptop over the summer. I'm using a 72mm F6 APO refractor on an AZ GOTO mount connected to the laptop via USB which i running SharpCap. My aim is to get close to real time images. So short exposure times and live stacking, and certainly live video for setting up and framing the image. Does that count?

So far I'm seeing way more than I can through an eyepiece, and it is nice to be able to observe from inside, without having to worry about dark adaption, and to share the experience.

If it floats your boat it counts. I don’t know why but I like to be do my video outside under the stars, don’t quote me that next winter!

8 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

I haven't done any, but I've been researching video observing for awhile.  My main reason, aside from horrendous light pollution at home, is that I don't want to deal with dragging out my laptop to observe.  I'm not inclined to deal with flats and darks and plate solving and yadda yadda yadda.  I'd like to just point my scope on a manual mount and see what the camera shows me. 

People have suggested nightvision devices to get enhanced realtime views, but the prices for NV are way beyond my hobby budget.

I'd probably go with one of the smaller Malincams since the Revolution II has gotten relatively poor reviews.

I hear you. You’ll need some form of tracking though, some would goto as minimum. The Revolution doesn’t seem that bad. If it gets you started…

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Macavity said:

These days, you'd need to define "Video"? lol. Sometimes think I was "seduced" far too EARLY? 🥳
But I still have my Watec internal integrating Cameras - Around here somewhere. Were it not
for "real life stuff", I might have followed the TRENDS re. technology / ideas? 😉

These days, it's more of "hybrid thing"? Ever closer to *conventional* imaging?
The appeal of "doing something different", rather less, these days? 🤔
Sadly, "Video" CHIP technology is a thing of the past too?

Word up. I like to think there’s plenty of chips for us to go around.

When life happens, the cosmos will still be here tomorrow.

Edited by lvan

On 14/09/2022 at 14:01, jjohnson3803 said:

In the imaging section there’s a sub division for smartphones / tablets. Dudes are getting decent results with smart phones, some without tracking. Maybe check that out first.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

@Ivan sorry for belated reply! you are not alone I still run an analogue Watec 910 into a 7" video monitor on the mount. Use a flip mirror for parfocal visual. Occasionally record a stil as below.IMG_20200425_002949.thumb.jpg.0ea09a737526a682aae7889157114b33.jpg

I keep on looking at higher tech alternatives, but each time I opt for simplicity over performance. No desire to dive into imaging, so live in hope of a cmos based viewer. Probably going to be on a phone or tablet I suspect - yes I have sen the Asiair of course.

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

@Ivan sorry for belated reply! you are not alone I still run an analogue Watec 910 into a 7" video monitor on the mount. Use a flip mirror for parfocal visual.

I keep on looking at higher tech alternatives, but each time I opt for simplicity over performance. No desire to dive into imaging, so live in hope of a cmos based viewer. Probably going to be on a phone or tablet I suspect - yes I have sen the Asiair of course.

Is there an equivalent current version of that camera?  I took a look at the Watec site, but it gives a "not found" when searching for a 910, so I assume it's been discontinued.

Edited by jjohnson3803

Great topic guys,,  got me started now lol.

Video yeah I consider myself  a Video astronomer,, 

I still have all my analogue gear,,Samsung scb cameras, molded and unmodded,  Phil dyer pd1 as we called it back in the day,, couple  of water 902h cameras with 1/2" sensors,, usb Video grabbers. 

Best  set up I had was multiple  analogue cameras  set up,, on heq5,, twin saddle,, ed80,, St 102,, and camera with  a fast cctv lens,,  think I went 60 ohm coaxial  cable to stop a bit of noise,, up the coaxial controllers,,  fad them plugged into a 1tb 8 channel dvr, the feed to the monitor  was split with a T connector , one to the monitor and other to a USB Video grabber into my laptop,, that was a good experiment into multi camera array,,  was hoping  to go the full 8 cameras but,,it was expensive  back then for the poor man's astrophotography..

These days,, probably use same kit as most,,  but I do as near live as possible,,  wide field,, rarely capture images on video ,, probably  only to test my kit.

My kit is vast now having started back in 2011 and been chasing,, what is the holy grail set up since,,

I like swapping around  from video to AP,,   

I'm in the middle  of  setting up a ldv convoy campervan I was gifted from my uncle,, he called it the,, scopemobile   ,,  it's  nearly there led lights,, usb 3.1 amp fast chargers, android stereo  head unit with skywatcher synscan  app and zwp asiair app.