Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon with 8''

astrolulu

A slightly different approach to color. This time I tried to bring out and accentuate the colors of the bright ejecta. I chose a few frames from the same session, leaving a slightly larger scale:

crop80-LACUS-SOMNIORUM-2022-09-13-Meade-

crop80-MARE-CRISIUM1-2022-09-13-Meade-LX

crop80-MARE-CRISIUM-2022-09-13-Meade-LX2

crop80-MARE-NECTARIS-2022-09-13-Meade-LX

crop80-PETAVIUS-2022-09-13-Meade-LX200-A

crop80-POSIDONIUS-2022-09-13-Meade-LX200

Edited by astrolulu
  • Like 8

Thank you very much. The seeing was undoubtedly good, but for this telescope the height of the object above the horizon is also of paramount importance, so to get a good effect, both factors must meet on the same evening.

As for sharpening, I'm using the version sharpened by AS! I know - there is a belief that this is only a preview, but I do not know a better sharpening mechanism than this one and I can safely say that neither deconvolution in Astra Image nor filters in Photoshop are a competition for shaprpening by AS! So I get from AS! image sharpened to 100% using 1.5x drizzle, then I reduce it in Photoshop - often below the original size - and subject it to further sharpening using Unsharp mask (usually in several stages).

Edited by astrolulu

3 minutes ago, astrolulu said:

Thank you very much. The seeing was undoubtedly good, but for this telescope the height of the object above the horizon is also of paramount importance, so to get a good effect, both factors must meet on the same evening.

As for sharpening, I'm using the version sharpened by AS! I know - there is a belief that this is only a preview, but I do not know a better sharpening mechanism than this one and I can safely say that neither deconvolution in Astra Image nor filters in Photoshop are a competition for shaprpening by AS! So I get from AS! image sharpened to 100% using 1.5x drizzle, then I reduce it in Photoshop - often below the original size - and subject it to further sharpening using Unsharp mask (usually in several stages).

That is very interesting. And I must say rather different. But also, effective. As can be seen from the images. Thank you for the explanation. Maybe I should try the AS/3 sharpening. I never really have. I have my own techniques. But quality always gets my attention. So, thanks again for the information. 

My advice - use both versions by putting them on layers in Photoshop or Gimp. Work on the original version using your own sharpening methods, then fine-tune the version sharpened by AS! and you will be able to compare them easily. Sharpening by AS! helps to avoid artifacts resembling contour lines on smooth surfaces - e.g. maria. Sometimes this version is too aggressively sharpened - having it on the top layer, you can only use it to a certain extent, setting the appropriate percentage of transparency. By maneuvering this parameter in Photoshop or Gimp, you will get the same as setting the percentage of the original and sharpened version while stacking in AS! I suggest sharpening 100% and manipulating later in Photoshop or Gimp.

12 minutes ago, astrolulu said:

My advice - use both versions by putting them on layers in Photoshop or Gimp. Work on the original version using your own sharpening methods, then fine-tune the version sharpened by AS! and you will be able to compare them easily. Sharpening by AS! helps to avoid artifacts resembling contour lines on smooth surfaces - e.g. maria. Sometimes this version is too aggressively sharpened - having it on the top layer, you can only use it to a certain extent, setting the appropriate percentage of transparency. By maneuvering this parameter in Photoshop or Gimp, you will get the same as setting the percentage of the original and sharpened version while stacking in AS! I suggest sharpening 100% and manipulating later in Photoshop or Gimp.

Thanks again for the extra information. I tend to keep things a little simpler. Especially doing something like say a 30-piece mosaic. But it's all interesting. 

Cheers again

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, astrolulu said:

As for sharpening, I'm using the version sharpened by AS! I know - there is a belief that this is only a preview, but I do not know a better sharpening mechanism than this one and I can safely say that neither deconvolution in Astra Image nor filters in Photoshop are a competition for shaprpening by AS!

This is very interesting, I will give it a try as well, I have of course seen it in AS! and the dithering, but had never seen anybody mention using the sharpening.

The sharpening in PS often causes mottling to me. 

• Like 1

Thanks! As for O'Neil, I've seen quite a few illustrations to explain where this under-bridge clearance effect is visible - but I still can't see it. Seasoned visual observers respond in such cases that if you cannot see what they see, you need to train your eye more 😉

• Like 1

Thank you very much! I hope that in the future I will be able to change the camera to the 183 model with a much higher resolution. Then taking a picture of the entire Moon using 2x Barlow lens should not be a problem 🙂

17 hours ago, astrolulu said:

Another shot of the Moon the day after. Aristoteles et consortes:

ARISTOTELES-2022-08-17-C8-N.jpg

Again, wow!!! I now have a 2 inch 2x barlow, so when we get some clear skies I am going to have another go at the Moon. Your images are inspiring me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheThing said:

Wow, your images are absolutely stunning.  Loads of detail and so clear.  Please keep posting them. 

Good to see TheThing posting again..I remember you posting a lot on SGL years ago.

Welcome back!👍😊

Dave

• Thanks 1