Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7331 and the Deer Lick Group

Rodd

Collected over a month and a half.  Seeing was pretty good for all but the green and blue channels.  Luminance carried the day--which is rare for me as my sky is often too bright for good luminance data.  The background is too dark still--but not as bad a usual.  I tried not to over process it.

C11 Edge with .7x reducer and OSG, ASI 16900--about 18 hours of data (HaLRGB).  Only 2 hours of Ha--I wish I had time to collect more.  The other thing is I collecetd over 300 lum subs but I wanted to maximize the resolution so I did not use any lum sub with a FWHM above 2.4"   This resulted in a lum stack with a FWHM of 1.6".  I'll have to integrate all 305 subs to see if the increased signal compensates for lower resolution.  This is the first try withn this data.  I will process this image quite a few times over the next weeks.  Sometimes my first try is the best, and sometimes it takes me a while to get it right.

669B810A-4721-4F0D-B4CB-74D34BA1742F.thumb.jpeg.4af1654d0f52104b00ba0ea297f0c83e.jpeg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 17

51 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Stunning! 
I am impressed with the detail, star colour and natural processing look 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

Thanks Brian.  I increased saturation a bit after Adam Blocks version from Mount Lemon observatory.  I wish I had better seeing

I think that's pretty amazing Rodd. The colour looks spot on, and the detail you've captured is very impressive for a galaxy of this size. 

As you say, the background is a bit too dark. Have you tried Russ Croman's NoiseXTerminator? If not, you should definitely give it a go. It's a game changer in terms of noise control. You will probably find it allows you to use a higher black point than you've been used to. 

57 minutes ago, Xiga said:

I think that's pretty amazing Rodd. The colour looks spot on, and the detail you've captured is very impressive for a galaxy of this size. 

As you say, the background is a bit too dark. Have you tried Russ Croman's NoiseXTerminator? If not, you should definitely give it a go. It's a game changer in terms of noise control. You will probably find it allows you to use a higher black point than you've been used to. 

I have not tried it.  I am very Leary of noise suppression. I use very little.   The problem is it’s not really noise, but LP  it’s unwanted signal.  I can usually cont  try ok if by not stretching so much. But I lost control with this one and wanted to show the detail.  I’ll process it again and be less aggressive 

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I have not tried it.  I am very Leary of noise suppression. I use very little.   The problem is it’s not really noise, but LP  it’s unwanted signal.  I can usually cont  try ok if by not stretching so much. But I lost control with this one and wanted to show the detail.  I’ll process it again and be less aggressive 

It comes with a 30 day free trial, so nothing to lose. Honestly, give it a go. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. 

16 hours ago, Rodd said:

Well, after two full days of processing, I am calling this the final image.  Subtle differences, but exasperating effort!

z3.thumb.jpg.1081d08ba889738b4f63af93e9cd48ff.jpg

Very  very nice!

I hear you Rodd! 

Sometimes I walk away and leave an image for a couple of days, there’s always a tweak that can be done and sometimes you want to start afresh but worry you will struggle to get to the same point! 
This is a frustrating and rewarding obsession disguised as a hobby! 

1 hour ago, assouptro said:

Sometimes I walk away and leave an image for a couple of days, there’s always a tweak that can be done and sometimes you want to start afresh but worry you will struggle to get to the same point! 
This is a frustrating and rewarding obsession disguised as a hobby! 

So true--Currently I am trying to process a Bin1 version--the luminance channel can support it I think.  Here is a superluminance made for 285 120 sec subs of LRand B (green sucked so I did not include it).  This is before deconvolution (struggling to get that to work witghout leaving artifacts).

Bin1-superluminance.  FWHM about 1.8--no processing beyond rotation crop and DBE.  If I can get decon to work with no artifacts it will me awesom

L285a.thumb.jpg.8b1a2b714fb36e267c849840c5b0e4fd.jpg