NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fireworks Galaxy (NGC6946) LRGB - 30 Aug 2022

geoflewis

Hi all, Having see a few recent version elsewhere, I decided that it was long overdue for me to have my first attempt at this target. I was intending to capture more data including some Ha, but I also want to derig the QSI camera from the C14, to release that for planetary imaging over the coming months (having already missed Saturn's opposition this year), so this is from a single night's session, comprising approx 1h each RGB in 5 min subs and 1.5h L in 10 min subs.

NGC6946_LRGB_IP(levels).thumb.jpg.21679efda38b103f8e23354206f9494b.jpg

This target proved to be quite challenging to process with so many huge bright stars in the foreground. I kept the background level quite high on my original versions to try and preserve the fainter tendrils and any lurking IFN, but I think that's really where more data would be required, hence I lowered the black point for a darker background in this version.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 13

On 02/09/2022 at 21:49, assouptro said:

That’s a beautiful result from one night with such a large slow telescope! (I’m assuming you were using the c14?) 

well done! 
Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

Thanks Brian,

Yes, that was with the C14, plus the Optec tele-compressor, which brings the FR down to around F7.

Geof

18 hours ago, tomato said:

A great result from a single night of data.

Many thanks. It turned out better than I’d expected. I was going to gather more L plus some Ha, so the processing was initially just a test to see what I’d got, but I decided to go with it as I thought it wasn’t too shabby as was….