Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader 2 in mirror diagonal connect to Maxbright II's for shortest lightpath. HELP please.

Hello all. Got myself a Baader 2in diagonal a little while back.  Quite happy with it but I seem to have found the light path is a little longer than a Meade 2 in diagonal I also own.  Anyhow. I'm looking to add directly my Maxbright II BV's to the diagonal as am stuggling with in focus ?? Pretty sure Baader do an option.  The clicklock may well need to be removed - carefully ! Been on the Baader website but cannot for the life of me pin down what I may need. 

Anybody on here done this so far.  A couple of pictures added to help. 

TIA.   John 

Mods. If I’m wrong area please move if required. 🤔

7F472CFC-927D-465F-8916-BBC61DFCCB72.jpeg

F9D846B1-A6B6-4E1B-B644-4595873790E5.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
Add photos

I have just bought myself a Baader Maxbright II binoviewer and I also have the same Baader 2” clicklock diagonal. For the shortest light path you want to buy a Baader T2 32mm  diagonal and connect the binoviewer directly to it. Then you can fit a nosepiece of the size you want in the other side of the diagonal. 2” preferably for a more solid connection.

A71929B1-28D2-457D-8F3C-822F84208AF3.png.78211340bb661b7b11ab0dbda45bdeea.png

Edited by bosun21
Add photo

The T2 - 32mm prism is ideal as said above, if you want to save on those precious in-focus mm.

Careful with the Baader 2" nose pieces : they are a bit short with an unwelcome undercut, although i think the newer ones have the safety kerfs which are much better.

I don't like undercuts : when cold and damp set in the compression ring ( if you have one) can lose purchase on a heavy binoviewer and eyepiece rig.

This has happened to me before resulting in the bino rotating itself 180º. Not good.

After this i changed to a 'smoothbore' type 2" nose. Problem solved.

4F857753-632F-4168-8106-BA945B9B4C65_1_201_a

........and you can of course simply screw the max 2 directly onto the female T2 on the diagonal if you don't fancy the 'quick change' option.

But this can make changing or installing GPCs a bit tiresome 

Edited by Space Hopper

Just now, Space Hopper said:

........and you can of course simply screw the max 2 directly onto the female T2 on the diagonal if you don't fancy the 'quick change' option.

But this can make changing or installing GPCs a bit tiresome.

The beauty of the Baader T2 system is its flexibility. Always more than one way to skin the old cat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Many thanks for the info. I have options now. Was somewhat baffled with all the adaptors made by Baader. 👍👍
John 

John, it looks like when you remove the clicklock adaptor it exposes an SC thread, presumably male but maybe female. You should be able to get an SC to T2 adaptor which would allow you to attach a T2 Quickchanger to your diagonal, and would then be able to attach the Binoviewer directly to the diagonal. I’ve done a similar thing with my Baader Coolwedge so I can attach a Zoom directly to it to get focus in some of my refractors.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2434_Baader-2--ClickLock-diagonal-mirror---99--reflection---1-10-lambda.html

As others have said, the easier option with shorter light path is the T2 prism which has T2 threads on it, and the aperture is plenty to not vignette the binoviewer.

Yes, although the star diagonal you have is a beauty, a big 2" Baader like that is not that well suited to binoviewing,

simply because of its large lightpath. And mm's can really count in the binoviewing world on whether you can focus or not.

All depends on what scope you have. If you have a refractor that is optimised for imaging, you may well be ok.

And with a catadioptric scope, theres no issue at all.