NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connect Error: Timeout (solved ;))

Mikkel Kroman

Hi guys. I am new in the world of astrophotography. I am trying to connect my EQ3 Pro to my PC but I am getting the errror "Connect Error: Timeout" in EQMOD. I am using a EQMOD USB cable. I connect it in the small black box (not in the hand controller as it does not fit there). I want to use N.I.N.A but I am getting an error (Telescope connection lost).

What am I doing wrong?

I have downloaded ASCOM, EQMOD, the driver for the mount (at the Skywatcher website I chose Synscan controller - is it the wrong one?), N.I.N.A and Carte du ciel.

20220826_220055.jpg

20220826_215728.jpg

Edited by Mikkel Kroman

Open Device Manager in windows then plug in the usb end of the cable, no need to have it connected at the other end yet.  The device manager should refresh and hopefully it gets identified as a com port lead and you can see the com port number assigned. If it goes in as an unidentified device you may be missing the driver (either a FTDI or Prolific one) - FTDI is preferable as it remembers the same port number most of the time.

If you do get the port number assigned then retry plugging the lead in at the black box (presumably you are using the port the handset normally connects to).

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mikkel Kroman said:

I am using a EQMOD USB cable. I connect it in the small black box (not in the hand controller as it does not fit there).

Which socket on the motor control board is the eqmod cable connected to ? I assume it is the socket normally used by the handset ?. Have you selected the correct Comms port number for the eqmod cable in eqmod as assigned in windows device manager and there are no yellow warning flags in device manager ?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Open Device Manager in windows then plug in the usb end of the cable, no need to have it connected at the other end yet.  The device manager should refresh and hopefully it gets identified as a com port lead and you can see the com port number assigned. If it goes in as an unidentified device you may be missing the driver (either a FTDI or Prolific one) - FTDI is preferable as it remembers the same port number most of the time.

If you do get the port number assigned then retry plugging the lead in at the black box (presumably you are using the port the handset normally connects to).

I followed those steps but still the same error. See photos attached.

20220827_135236.jpg

20220827_135444.jpg

20220827_135506.jpg

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Which socket on the motor control board is the eqmod cable connected to ? I assume it is the socket normally used by the handset ?. Have you selected the correct Comms port number for the eqmod cable in eqmod as assigned in windows device manager and there are no yellow warning flags in device manager ?

Correct. I have selected the correct COMS port. See photos attached.

20220827_135236.jpg

20220827_135444.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mikkel Kroman said:

That did the trick. Thanks! Everywhere I read it says to set it to 115200.

The newer mounts and handsets have usb ports, which means they have a serial chip in them, so a plain usb a-b lead can be used.  Older mounts can only do 9600 baud but the latest can be 115200 as you have read.

• Thanks 1

• Mikkel Kroman changed the title to Connect Error: Timeout (solved ;))