NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1

Rodd

Another data set that I have yet to process successfully.  I think this one is improved, but I wish I had not cropped it.  

C11Edge with .7x reducer and AOG, with ASI 1600..  About 10.5 hours of 60 sec and 10 sec subs.  This was taken during my high gain experimental phase (gain 300)--the reason for the short subs.  I used HDR compoition to combine the short and long subsb to prevent star core clipping.  I guess I need to reshoot this target during better conditions and get much more data.

New-finala.jpg.a6abd8e8c66c9b823a08687bf1d32368.jpg

• Like 19

20 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Heres an uncropped version.  BTW, this is an RGB image

z3.thumb.jpg.9c8b42b49ab1cc1ea2a893ea56159074.jpg

This uncropped version looks amazing! The cropped one was great already, but this one just feels easier to see with more of the background visible.

10 minutes ago, Paul M said:

A Fantastic image of my favorite DSO!

I always try to locate the pulsar in Crab Nebula images and you got it nice and clear.

Thanks Paul. I think you can make out portions of the shock fronts, but the neutron star is hidden

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

This uncropped version looks amazing! The cropped one was great already, but this one just feels easier to see with more of the background visible.

Thanks. I often make the mistake of cropping to show the target larger.  I am trying to break that habit.  

43 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Paul. I think you can make out portions of the shock fronts, but the neutron star is hidden

I've always thought that the pulsar had a strong optical signal. Here is a link to a good location reference:

https://noirlab.edu/public/images/noao-03036/

But that doesn't mean I haven't misunderstood something!

There are some striking images and animations of shock waves radiating in the region of the pulsar on the interweb but I think they are mostly beyond amateur equipment.

8 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I've always thought that the pulsar had a strong optical signal. Here is a link to a good location reference:

There are some striking images and animations of shock waves radiating in the region of the pulsar on the interweb but I think they are mostly beyond amateur equipment.

Wow!  I did not know the pulsar was THAT star!!! Cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

Now you just need some millisecond subs and you can animate...😎

Or a million .1 sec subs and a bank of hard drives.  Actually, we would need to determine the shortest sub on which the pulsar is visible.  It’s probably longer than a second with the asi 1600. Maybe as long as 5 sec.  So an animation is not really feasible I guess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul M said:

Hmm, this got me thinking... If the period observed was about 33.36ms, could one take say maybe 33.36ms exposures or, a fraction of this like 11.12ms, to get a chain of exposures together and get the pulsating effect through? Maybe take 33.36ms exposures and stack a second of these together, should make a magnitude 16.5 object (as google suggests the crab pulsar is) visible in a modest sized scope. Then stack a number of frames as even and odd frames, ones where the pulsar should be visible, and ones where it should not be. Maybe an animation could come out of it? Getting the exposures synced to the pulsating rate will be nigh on impossible though... But maybe possible?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Hmm, this got me thinking... If the period observed was about 33.36ms, could one take say maybe 33.36ms exposures or, a fraction of this like 11.12ms, to get a chain of exposures together and get the pulsating effect through? Maybe take 33.36ms exposures and stack a second of these together, should make a magnitude 16.5 object (as google suggests the crab pulsar is) visible in a modest sized scope. Then stack a number of frames as even and odd frames, ones where the pulsar should be visible, and ones where it should not be. Maybe an animation could come out of it? Getting the exposures synced to the pulsating rate will be nigh on impossible though... But maybe possible?

I'd try I think it’s possible.  My concern is picking up the pulsar in short subs.  Maybe using AVIs like with planetary imaging.   Stacking would be an issue with regular subs.  You could make one long avi. I can’t remember how short thd frame rates are.  Planets are much brighter than deep sky objects.  Definitely a worthy challenge

Edited by Rodd