Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Deep sky captures

Hi' Can any help me out on taking deep sky captures.If i had the scope towards eg' M51 camera set at prime focus do i have to take alot of frames to see any result on the camera, or only do i start seeing any result after stacking the frames with DSS Thanks.Mark

Mark,

M51 is quite bright so you should get something quite good from 60 secs like Peter says. The more subs the better so if you manage to get 60-90 then you will get a very good image. It's worth spending plenty of time on the focus to make sure it's as good as you can get as this will help bring out the finer details.:)

Sam

I too would expect something recognisable at 60 seconds and ISO 1600 but the key is certainly lots of subs. Limiting the exposure to 60 seconds has good and bad points but let's be positive, good tracking will be easier to achieve, sensor noise will be reduced and the time spent taking multiple images will result in a much smoother less noisy image.

Archived