NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter - First Imaging Attempt

MonsterMagnet

Hi All.

So I decided to have a go at some basic imaging, for practice I used my phone for a couple of days and recorded a video but then decided to get a camera as I enjoyed messing about with it.  Jupiter is a bit low at the moment and being in central London is never an aid to viewing but I was pretty happy with my first go.  Stacking the images is fine but wavelets are a mystery and I haven't really worked out Gimp either so I didn't use Gimp for this, just Autostakkert and Registax.

Skywatcher P150i (F/5), SVBony x3 Barlow, ZWO ASI224MC, ~3000 Frames.

You can see two of the Galilean moons (bottom left and top right) although you may need to zoom or turn up the brightness.

jupiter-20220820-1-moons.jpg

There are obviously loads of guides out there but I am sure there are some excellent ones published by members of this community - if someone could point me in the direction of something on wavelets and Gimp processing that would be great!

Any other tips or comments gratefully received.

MM.

• Like 13

21 hours ago, Maurizio83 said:

Good image! Maybe a little too small for a 150mm so you lose some potential details. Check if you are using the correct focal length compared to the pixel size of your camera. 👍

Thanks!

I was pretty happy with the image and capturing the moons but also do see that it's a little on the small side.

With regards to tuning the focal length to that of the camera chip I think I might need pointing in the right direction - do you know any guides or calculators for this?

Thanks.

MM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/08/2022 at 09:26, MonsterMagnet said:

Hi All.

So I decided to have a go at some basic imaging, for practice I used my phone for a couple of days and recorded a video but then decided to get a camera as I enjoyed messing about with it.  Jupiter is a bit low at the moment and being in central London is never an aid to viewing but I was pretty happy with my first go.  Stacking the images is fine but wavelets are a mystery and I haven't really worked out Gimp either so I didn't use Gimp for this, just Autostakkert and Registax.

Skywatcher P150i (F/5), SVBony x3 Barlow, ZWO ASI224MC, ~3000 Frames.

You can see two of the Galilean moons (bottom left and top right) although you may need to zoom or turn up the brightness.

jupiter-20220820-1-moons.jpg

There are obviously loads of guides out there but I am sure there are some excellent ones published by members of this community - if someone could point me in the direction of something on wavelets and Gimp processing that would be great!

Any other tips or comments gratefully received.

MM.

So, 2.5 months later this was my latest attempt when the weather was decent.

redspot4.jpg

MM

• Like 2

That's big step up in quality. The colours are pretty much spot on and lots of details coming through. It is a tad noisy, so maybe capture an stack more frames, or hold back on the sharpening a bit. Don't forget to have a try at Mars at it's very bright, at a high elevation and only a couple of weeks shy of its opposition, after which it will be receeding againuntil it comes around again in a couple years.