Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobsonian go to mount

7 minutes ago, Jjmorris90 said:

I have a 12” dob. Wondering if there is any goto kits available or DIYs? 

or if anyone builds them? 

thanks 

Not quite what you're asking for, but Asterion do 'push to' kits https://www.firstlightoptics.com/asterion.html

For a bit less money, you could have a look at buying the cheapest Celestron Starsense explorer scope (which uses your phone as the push-to device) and converting your Dob to use that. There are various threads on here about how people have done it.

11 hours ago, Jjmorris90 said:

I have a 12” dob. Wondering if there is any goto kits available or DIYs? 

or if anyone builds them? 

thanks 

Yes. Skywatcher do dob drives as too the onstep project.

Checkout the onstep wiki for large alt az dobs driven to track the stars. 

I'm currently building a 16" myself.  

Take a look at this onstep wiki example : https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNQ1-xMqhSLRxLNPbilI9xMvaDgAwkvBIDQC7HTN8Wnd583X-TtcITONy1NntnuTg/photo/AF1QipOlBDGs-jQXR2VwqyAzAloBC6NIPVklpHwVMuxr?key=U3I4V2hIVHFZUjJ4WjJaN3pJN0JTV3RtQ1pMcXN3

Edited by skybadger
Expansion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jjmorris90 said:

Thanks for the reply. I have seen those. It’s just, I want to capture the planets. I’m unsure if it’s even doable tbf 

I don't know why it wouldn't work.  The base tracks for an hour as i remember.  I think i know a guy who has one of those bases.  I will check with him and get back to you 

But the tracking platform is EQ, so it may well work to photograph the planets (no field rotation) but I haven't tried yet. Obviously, it isn't go-to but most of the planets are a doddle to locate. Neptune and Uranus, not so much, but without a pretty big dob, you won't see much more than a spot anyway....😄

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Mike means me. I have an EQ platform for my dob. That'll track a target but won't push-to or go-to.

ahh the ubiquitous Barn Door or BM setup that the base sits on? AKA the dob toppler 😉 

several similar project in the DIY section IIRC.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jjmorris90 said:

Thanks for the reply. I have seen those. It’s just, I want to capture the planets. I’m unsure if it’s even doable tbf 

It might be worth trying for the planets with what you've got already. Have you seen this thread on imaging the planets with an untracked dob? 

• Like 1

Those Asterion dob mounts are sold out completely for the lighter version (up to 30kg) and the heavier duty version (50kg) are sold out for the 50-55 degrees latitude. The fact that they were made in Ukraine makes the question of whether they will ever be back in stock questionable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

ahh the ubiquitous Barn Door or BM setup that the base sits on? AKA the dob toppler 😉 

several similar project in the DIY section IIRC.

Not exactly a barn door but a rather elegant piece of kit:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/asterion-ecliptica-light-tracking-platform-for-dobsonian-telescopes.html

😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Those Asterion dob mounts are sold out completely for the lighter version (up to 30kg) and the heavier duty version (50kg) are sold out for the 50-55 degrees latitude. The fact that they were made in Ukraine makes the question of whether they will ever be back in stock questionable.

That's exactly why I ordered mine when I did. I was worried they'd sell out and never be restocked because of the war.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

That's exactly why I ordered mine when I did. I was worried they'd sell out and never be restocked because of the war.

If I’d have known that they were made in Ukraine i would have bought one myself. Oh well, something else will crop up no doubt.🤞

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

It might be worth trying for the planets with what you've got already. Have you seen this thread on imaging the planets with an untracked dob? 

I’m the poster of Shimrod’s link here. I would take note of what he said, as with your 12” of aperture versus my 8” you should be able to get some fantastic results. Certainly worth trying untracked before you invest as if you’re questioning whether it’s doable you’ll probably be very pleasantly surprised!

8 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

First light optics ships to the US

I am aware of this.  It just amazes me that no one sells them over here at a similar price point.  

1 hour ago, Jjmorris90 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

so those platforms, do they prevent star trailing ? For up to one hour? If I’m reading correctly. 

They will to a certain extent but I don't know if they're accurate enough for long-term exposures for DSOs. They're certainly not marketed as such.

Edited by cajen2

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

They will to a certain extent but I don't know if they're accurate enough for long-term exposures for DSOs. They're certainly not marketed as such.

What do you consider a long term exposure?