NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn in IR (10th August @1130pm)

Kon

I managed a quick imaging session last night (thus the time in the title), not morning πŸ˜‚;Β it is nice not having to put the alarm at silly hours. Anyhow, seeing was kind of rubbish and in addition, Saturn was close to the nearly full moon. The colour image was awful so I am not uploading it here but the IR has brought some nice details. My usual capture of 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, IR pass filter, 2.5x TV powermate. I found that using all three channels i was getting a ring with halo outline and fuzzy so I only used the red channel for the processing.Β 

image.png.1484435ff6a03daa00ee396a3a33d61a.png

• Like 7

Nice image kon. Seeing here started out quite good. But then took a dive. I think I have figured what's going on with my local seeing. Good seeing can be apparent with no jet stream. and high pressure. But with the very warm weather. There is warm pockets of air that can circulate around any particular location. So one site will have great seeing. Another could be poor. I saw both happen last night. from good to bad. to fair later.Β 

Anyway thought you might have seen something similar yourself perhaps? Again nice capture

39 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Nice image kon. Seeing here started out quite good. But then took a dive. I think I have figured what's going on with my local seeing. Good seeing can be apparent with no jet stream. and high pressure. But with the very warm weather. There is warm pockets of air that can circulate around any particular location. So one site will have great seeing. Another could be poor. I saw both happen last night. from good to bad. to fair later.Β 

Anyway thought you might have seen something similar yourself perhaps? Again nice capture

Thanks Neil. I thought that the seeing might be better more stable before it starts getting cool in the morning (plus I had too many early mornings on top of work). What I have noticed during the hot spells is that the sky looks very good until late afternoon but as it is cooling, I see a thin haze not from clouds but either dust particles that reflect the light or the phenomenon you describe or a combination of both, particles getting disturbed from warm/cold pockets. Last night it was a good example with the moon out, I could clearly see that reflecting haze. I am not sure it is the same on your side. Moon also looks very yellow which gives me the suspicion of particles in the air. But stars do not twinkle so the jet stream is not present.

50 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks Neil. I thought that the seeing might be better more stable before it starts getting cool in the morning (plus I had too many early mornings on top of work). What I have noticed during the hot spells is that the sky looks very good until late afternoon but as it is cooling, I see a thin haze not from clouds but either dust particles that reflect the light or the phenomenon you describe or a combination of both, particles getting disturbed from warm/cold pockets. Last night it was a good example with the moon out, I could clearly see that reflecting haze. I am not sure it is the same on your side. Moon also looks very yellow which gives me the suspicion of particles in the air. But stars do not twinkle so the jet stream is not present.

Hard to say. But i think dust in the atmosphere may be a different issue with its own effects. Certainly transparency. But yes you are correct about seeing it. I have seen it also.

Think I am seeing heat in the air. Warm air pockets causing both rippling. And causing the image to defocus. It can appear quite sharp. Then go so far out of focus. it looks like someone turned the focuser a notch. What i dont get. Is Damien Peach. has imaged in Barbados

For its excellent seeing. But those countries are quite hot. So why not the same effects i am seeing here at my location. And no doubt other locations around the UK. Dont fully understand the dynamics of all this. Though i am becoming increasingly certain. Some of the problems with seeing. when there is no jet stream is local pockets of warm air. I could see it on screen last nightΒ 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kon said:

Saturn was close to the nearly full moon. The colour image was awful

Thank goodness for the high sensitivity in IR of the Asi462c. You have managed to capture some fine detail Kon. I was also out imaging Saturn and they are just going through As3 now as I type but that moon made it very difficult for imaging.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Thank goodness for the high sensitivity in IR of the Asi462c. You have managed to capture some fine detail Kon. I was also out imaging Saturn and they are just going through As3 now as I type but that moon made it very difficult for imaging.

Thanks Martyn. Yes I am really enjoying this camera , very versatile. Looking forward to your captures. Saturn has been awful for me the past few weeks.