Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Could I use my SW 130p heritage for deepsky?

JokubasJar

Alright so I am very much a planetary guy and know little about deepsky. I have an 8 inch dob with an eq platform, I use this setup for planets. Before I bought my 8 inch, I had and still have a 130p heritage table top dobsonian. I know that people usually say against using reflectors for dso but I am not really interested in buying another scope. The ota itselt has a vixen dovetail so I could attach it to any mount. The ota is fairly light too, 2.5 kg. of course there is another problem, the focuser, it is a very very crappy helical focuser, I wouldn’t even call it that, it’s more like a big screw. Obviously it is not suitable for imaging, but perhaps I could replace it with a better helical focuser? I am looking at a zwo one that looks pretty high quality to me. I already have a dslr, a Nikon d60. I am not sure about which mount to buy so If yall could help me with that it would be nice. I plan on doing off axis guiding. Is there anything wrong with this?

Hi, there are two members using this OTA for imaging, as the trusses don't have to be fully extended it can reach focus with a camera. The focuser can be made more stable with ptfe plumbing tape and you would need to make a light shroud, it's all here it you were thinking to use what you already have. 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=4185739

Edit: I didn't twig you didn't have a mount

Edited by happy-kat

If you don’t have a robust focuser I wouldn’t recommend doing off axis guiding as this is more kit to put on the focuser. A small guidescope will be easier to set up and costs about the same as the Off Axis unit, both methods require a guide camera.

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Hi, there are two members using this OTA for imaging, as the trusses don't have to be fully extended it can reach focus with a camera. The focuser can be made more stable with ptfe plumbing tape and you would need to make a light shroud, it's all here it you were thinking to use what you already have. 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=4185739

Edit: I didn't twig you didn't have a mount

Idk, I have a good feeling about the zwo focuser, I could just get a m42 1.25” nosepiece and just get the focuser on the scope, no diy. What about the mount? I’ve been thinking about the Star Adventurer pro, it has a 5kg capacity, I think ota+focuser+nikon+guidescope shouldn’t exceed 5kg.

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

the heritage 130p would be like a sail I would think on the SA, even if within payload my heritage 130p OTA weighs more like 3.4Kg from memory

I checked and its 2.5, the area I will mostly be imaging in doesn’t have much wind. I have a question, do you know what kind of thread the crappy focuser is? My original plan was just to get a 1.25” nosepiece to m42 and attach the focuser that way, but thats unnecessary weight. I wonder if I could just screw the focuser in with an adapter? Another option would be to make my own adapter, hack off a bit of whatever that thread is and ask a buddy to weld it to a male m42 ring. I would much prefer to just buy an adapter though.

Edited by JokubasJar