NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CELESTRON STARSENSE EXPLORER - OBJECT DATABASE QUESTION.

Can anyone tell me if the non - dobsonian telescopes in the Starsense Explorer series now have access to the same database of objects as the dobsonian versions following the software update?

I have been assuming this is the case when I've talked about how well the SE telescopes work, and I don't want to be misleading anyone.

Many thanks.

Edited by paulastro

• paulastro changed the title to CELESTRON STARSENSE EXPLORER - OBJECT DATABASE QUESTION.

I'd add that it's an update to the software, and so even my early Starsense Explorer now has the much enlarged database.

However, it's not immediately apparent how to access the new objects as they don't appear in the "more deep sky objects" section.  If you want an NGC, IC or Sharpless object etc you have to click the search button at the lower right and enter what you're looking for.

Alternatively, you could just enter NGC for instance and all 7987 NGC objects come up.

I suspect that, as the makers of Sky Safari were involved in the project, Starsense Explorer now contains all the objects in Sky Safari Plus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Phew, thank you, that's good.  A friend of mine has just ordered one of the non-dobs for transfer to another scope.

tis a very handy mod to do, tho once he has it and the unlock code its not that hard to make your own cradle and have both scopes usable with the app 😉 

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

tis a very handy mod to do, tho once he has it and the unlock code its not that hard to make your own cradle and have both scopes usable with the app 😉 

Many thanks Dave, Ill pass this onto my friend, unlike me this would be a walk in the park for him 🙂.

Now you've mentioned the possibility, I can imagine some enterprising person setting up to do this for other people.  Much as years ago someone did this to adapt customers PSTs ,  to PST mods. They had a stall at Astrofest one year!  I think I remember who it was, but I won't say in case I've got it wrong 😄.

13 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Many thanks Dave, Ill pass this onto my friend, unlike me this would be a walk in the park for him 🙂.

Now you've mentioned the possibility, I can imagine some enterprising person setting up to do this for other people.  Much as years ago someone did this to adapt customers PSTs ,  to PST mods. They had a stall at Astrofest one year!  I think I remember who it was, but I won't say in case I've got it wrong 😄.

there's a thread on here if you do a search, easiest to use a prism tho from a brief test I did a regular mirror will also work (as in not first surface)

• Like 1

Yes, the app development and its background database upgrades are independent of the ‘scope used with it - you can own and receive updates to the Srarsense app without owning a telescope at all. The unlock code only allows the app to be used to navigate with a telescope and plate solve. I had the app downloaded prior to buying the StarSense Dob and that was how I noticed it had been upgraded with more deep sky objects - to take advantage of the larger apertures of the newer Dobsonian models. It looks to be an increasingly popular idea to buy the cheapest version possible of the StarSense system to then adapt another ‘scope. Lots of examples on SGL of this working successfully. The newly updated app is interesting in that there is obvious overlap and duplication between the “more deep sky” section and other parts of the app, but nevertheless it’s an impressively comprehensive database and as noted is probably similar or the same as Sky Safari plus. 

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

Yes, the app development and its background database upgrades are independent of the ‘scope used with it - you can own and receive updates to the Srarsense app without owning a telescope at all. The unlock code only allows the app to be used to navigate with a telescope and plate solve. I had the app downloaded prior to buying the StarSense Dob and that was how I noticed it had been upgraded with more deep sky objects - to take advantage of the larger apertures of the newer Dobsonian models. It looks to be an increasingly popular idea to buy the cheapest version possible of the StarSense system to then adapt another ‘scope. Lots of examples on SGL of this working successfully. The newly updated app is interesting in that there is obvious overlap and duplication between the “more deep sky” section and other parts of the app, but nevertheless it’s an impressively comprehensive database and as noted is probably similar or the same as Sky Safari plus. 

You're certainly correct in saying the database is impressive Andrew.  I've been delving into it to find what catalogues are in it so I know where to search for object types I'm particularly interested in observing.  

There is necessary duplication, partly because so many objects are in several catalogues. I get the feeling just about every object you're likely to want to observe is in there if you know where to look.   I like observing open clusters and double stars for instance, and I'd never came across many of the catalogues I found for them before.  Comprehensive doesn't do it justice.

A friend of mine had the 70mm refractor Starsense Explorer delivered this morning.  The phone holder/ mirror is now attached to a 20 inch dob waiting for some clear weather.  At £169 for such a comprehensive, easy to use and accurate object finding device, it must be the bargain of all bargains!

I hasten to add, my StarSense device is staying with the 8inch dob it arrived with 😊.

• Like 2

I have the LT70 version myself and tbh it isn't all that bad optically. I built my own cradle which is currently on my TAL-1 where on testing it worked pretty well on the EQ mount. But then again the TAL is an ally OTA so no steel to interfere with the phone sensors. You do of course rotate the OTA in its rings to get the eyepiece to a useful place but the starsense still tracks ok with my phone and setup even at crazy tilt angles you can end up at while pushing to target.

Edited by DaveL59

I assume this is still the v1.1.7.1 update that happened a month or two ago? Or have I somehow missed an update?

On 30/07/2022 at 08:52, Second Time Around said:

I suspect that, as the makers of Sky Safari were involved in the project, Starsense Explorer now contains all the objects in Sky Safari Plus.

I noticed the app is now opening with messages asking me to download Sky Safari software - this would explain why...

On 30/07/2022 at 08:36, paulastro said:

Phew, thank you, that's good.  A friend of mine has just ordered one of the non-dobs for transfer to another scope.

My app was set up for the Celestron 130mm Newtonian. When I transferred the cradle onto my VX10 I did notice that the pointing accuracy of the app improved from "roughly correct" to "flawless" when I changed the 'Scope type' to a Celestron 10" Dobsonian in the app menu - not sure if others have experienced this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Giles_B said:

My app was set up for the Celestron 130mm Newtonian. When I transferred the cradle onto my VX10 I did notice that the pointing accuracy of the app improved from "roughly correct" to "flawless" when I changed the 'Scope type' to a Celestron 10" Dobsonian in the app menu - not sure if others have experienced this.

oh now that's interesting, never thought to try that!

• 5 months later...