NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Panic Mode HEQ5 problem

Ok, just fired up for for a clear night and mount won't connect. Red light comes on when i plug the usb into the pc even with the power off. Never seen that before. When i connect it appears to connect then NINA spits out and error saying mount disconnected. 

Is the lead dead or my mount? 

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Ok, just fired up for for a clear night and mount won't connect. Red light comes on when i plug the usb into the pc even with the power off. Never seen that before. When i connect it appears to connect then NINA spits out and error saying mount disconnected. 

Is the lead dead or my mount? 

EQMOD or GSS driver…?

11 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

No, and the red light is worrying me. Can't ever remember it being on when power is off and just plugged into usb port

So is this an EQMOD cable from handset port on mount to PC, or a direct USB port on mount to USB on PC, if it’s the later, then it can get enough power to put the light on through the USB cable…

Edited by Stuart1971

4 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

So is this an EQMOD cable from handset port on mount to PC, or a direct USB port on mount to USB on PC, if it’s the later, then is can get enough power to put the light on through the USB cable…

EQMOD direct mount to pc. Never noticed the red light coming on in the past with just the usb cable in. 

This is one of the occasions where it is useful to have an install on another platform, just to eliminate hardware issues. Alternatively, you can keep an old laptop with a dated install you know works, and is separated from internet. Or you can have a Pi with Astroberry in a drawer. It runs Kstars with INDI drivers under Linux, as far away from windows and Eqmod as you get. Once it's configured, it's just a matter of swapping a couple of usb-cables and fire it up.

3 minutes ago, Rallemikken said:

This is one of the occasions where it is useful to have an install on another platform, just to eliminate hardware issues. Alternatively, you can keep an old laptop with a dated install you know works, and is separated from internet. Or you can have a Pi with Astroberry in a drawer. It runs Kstars with INDI drivers under Linux, as far away from windows and Eqmod as you get. Once it's configured, it's just a matter of swapping a couple of usb-cables and fire it up.

Tried 2 pcs, Both were working this afternoon. There is no USB port on the HEQ5

Presumably this EQDIR cable is the same one you've used in the past.  So its and RJ45 connector at one end that replaces the handset with the other end being a USB-A type plug that connects direct to the PC.

In device manager does the cable get assigned a COM port without any exclamation marks or warnings.  If it installs correctly if you co into the properties for the port ensure its set yo 9600 baud speed.  Then open EQMODs Toolbox utility.  Ensure the "driver" set up is pointing to the same port number and is set to the same baud rate as that shown in device manager.  Once confirmed click the option to connect.  If everything is in order EQMOD will be launched and with the speed settings set to 4 you should be able to move the mount using the NSWE buttons on screen.  If this works then select to option in toolbox to disconnect and shut EQMOD down.  This proves the hardware and "driver" (EQMOD) is fully functional and it's something between NINA and ASCOM that is causing the disconnection.  If the tool box utility can't establish a connection even though device manager is showing no issues with the associated COM port, then the problem may be an issue with the motor board.

One other thing to do is to use the handset (if you still have it) to confirm communications.  If you plug in the handset and get a "No response" message for either or both axis then this would suggest that the PICs on the main board, or blocking diodes on the TX /RX lines have blown. 

The steps I would go through are these.

Use a multimeter and check at the power cable tip that you have at least 12 volts

I think you are using a FTDI serial cable. Power up the laptop and with the cable disconnected at the mount end plug it into a usb port. Do you hear the Ping note from the laptop?

Now (with the cable still connected just toi the laptop go into Device manager list the com ports. Make a note of what is connected, then pull out the cable. The device manager com port list should reset and one of the com ports will be missing. Check your list of what was present before and plug in again the cable. Does the com port reappear?

Report back what you see

7 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

Use a multimeter and check at the power cable tip that you have at least 12 volts

Good point...  If the power supply is dropping out that too would cause the reported issues

10 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Presumably this EQDIR cable is the same one you've used in the past.  So its and RJ45 connector at one end that replaces the handset with the other end being a USB-A type plug that connects direct to the PC.

In device manager does the cable get assigned a COM port without any exclamation marks or warnings.  If it installs correctly if you co into the properties for the port ensure its set yo 9600 baud speed.  Then open EQMODs Toolbox utility.  Ensure the "driver" set up is pointing to the same port number and is set to the same baud rate as that shown in device manager.  Once confirmed click the option to connect.  If everything is in order EQMOD will be launched and with the speed settings set to 4 you should be able to move the mount using the NSWE buttons on screen.  If this works then select to option in toolbox to disconnect and shut EQMOD down.  This proves the hardware and "driver" (EQMOD) is fully functional and it's something between NINA and ASCOM that is causing the disconnection.  If the tool box utility can't establish a connection even though device manager is showing no issues with the associated COM port, then the problem may be an issue with the motor board.

One other thing to do is to use the handset (if you still have it) to confirm communications.  If you plug in the handset and get a "No response" message for either or both axis then this would suggest that the PICs on the main board, or blocking diodes on the TX /RX lines have blown. 

Dont have a handset, the toolbox wont connect but the EQDIR cable "is" showing in devoce manager and bings when inserted. just ordered one on Amazon to try, will be here sunday. will test it and send it back if its not that. Just what i need the week I get setup with an auto focuser. 

Do you have a DVM to see what voltage is coming out of the supply (what are you using to power the mount?).  Have you confirmed that the port settings for the EQDIR cable are set to 9600 as mentioned.

13 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

I think you are using a FTDI serial cable. Power up the laptop and with the cable disconnected at the mount end plug it into a usb port. Do you hear the Ping note from the laptop?

Now (with the cable still connected just toi the laptop go into Device manager list the com ports. Make a note of what is connected, then pull out the cable. The device manager com port list should reset and one of the com ports will be missing. Check your list of what was present before and plug in again the cable. Does the com port reappear?

Report back what you see

voltage fine, and all appears ok in device manager. 

Think the mount might be pooched with the red light coming on when the usb lead is plugged in. 

Just now, malc-c said:

Do you have a DVM to see what voltage is coming out of the supply (what are you using to power the mount?).  Have you confirmed that the port settings for the EQDIR cable are set to 9600 as mentioned.

13.8 volts from bench supply in the the nearby workshop, a setup thats been working fine for years, all settings are ok. 

2 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Think the mount might be pooched with the red light coming on when the usb lead is plugged in. 

If it turns out the main board is the cause it can still be repaired.  -  I've done a few MC003 and MC004 boards where the PICs were blown, and even my own HEQ5 board when it died.  

42 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

There is no USB port on the HEQ5

No, but the cable most likely end in USB at your pc...   Looks like the problem is in the mount. Have you tried to connect via usb into the handcontroller? This is how I managed my HEQ5 untill I got my hands on a usb/eqmod cable. No difference in function, but I had to start the controller first. Fiddly, the only reason I droppet it.

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

What were the symptoms?

Same as yours only the LED on my HEQ5 hasn't worked for ages.  The difference being I knew I had blown mine as I inadvertently plugged the wrong lead in to the RJ45 port when I was testing an MC004 repair.  When the EQDIR cable was connected back to the mount there was no response   

2 minutes ago, Rallemikken said:

No, but the cable most likely end in USB at your pc...   Looks like the problem is in the mount. Have you tried to connect via usb into the handcontroller? This is how I managed my HEQ5 untill I got my hands on a usb/eqmod cable. No difference in function, but I had to start the controller first. Fiddly, the only reason I droppet it.

He's already mentioned he doesn't have the hand controller, so he cant use the PC-DIRECT mode and a USB A-B cable if the handset is late enough to have a USB port fitted

1 minute ago, malc-c said:

He's already mentioned he doesn't have the hand controller, so he cant use the PC-DIRECT mode and a USB A-B cable if the handset is late enough to have a USB port fitted

My handset never had the usb port. Must have been the last of them to ship without it, its one of the newer green accent models. 3 possibly 4 yrs old now. My hand controller is in a drawer spotless but for a freak accident where i dropped a screwdriver and it cracked the screen. been trying for yrs to source a new lcd screen but with no luck. 

What skill level is the board repair? 

2 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

What skill level is the board repair? 

It's dependant on the revision of board used.  If its an older revision that uses two 16F886 PIC microcontrollers then its a case of converting the binary firmware from Skywatchers website into a HEX code format, reprogramming two new PICs with that converted file, and then removing (unsolder using a hot air gun, or cut the packages off with a dremel and cutting disk, and then unsolder the legs) the old ones and soldering the new programmed PICs in their place.   It may also require two diodes to be replaced.

However later revisions use an ARM based processor and as yet I don't think any of these have been repaired... mainly as the scope is probably still in warranty, but also as the equipment to program and reflow the chip is more complicated.

This is the older revision board U2 and U3 are the 16F886 PICs

spacer.png

This is a later revision board.  

spacer.png

More details of the procedure etc can be found in this thread

3 minutes ago, malc-c said:

It's dependant on the revision of board used.  If its an older revision that uses two 16F886 PIC microcontrollers then its a case of converting the binary firmware from Skywatchers website into a HEX code format, reprogramming two new PICs with that converted file, and then removing (unsolder using a hot air gun, or cut the packages off with a dremel and cutting disk, and then unsolder the legs) the old ones and soldering the new programmed PICs in their place.   It may also require two diodes to be replaced.

However later revisions use an ARM based processor and as yet I don't think any of these have been repaired... mainly as the scope is probably still in warranty, but also as the equipment to program and reflow the chip is more complicated.

This is the older revision board U2 and U3 are the 16F886 PICs

spacer.png

This is a later revision board.  

spacer.png

More details of the procedure etc can be found in this thread

Pretty sure mines the later board. certainly remember it looking like that when i done the belt mod. 

10 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

OK, having made a note of the Com port number that appears when the cable is connected in Device manager) then connect it to the mount, open EQMOD on the laptop and see if the comport number (the baud rate and config also) in the EQMOD matches. If not then put the correct number (s) in the box and see if it connects to the mount.

If still unresponsive (even if it connects) then a repair of the board is most likely

You may well be right regarding the red led. On my EQ6 with power applied and the serial cable connected with the power switch off the LED is off