Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Panic Mode HEQ5 problem

You can clearly see the solder came from the resistor terminals. Predominately the one on the right of your picture. I would personally resolder both these terminals and try it out. If it’s still not working then remove the resistor and check the component with a test meter. If blown or damaged (wrong value showing) then replace it for virtually pennies. Once these steps are taken you know where you stand better.

21 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

You can clearly see the solder came from the resistor terminals. Predominately the one on the right of your picture. I would personally resolder both these terminals and try it out. If it’s still not working then remove the resistor and check the component with a test meter. If blown or damaged (wrong value showing) then replace it for virtually pennies. Once these steps are taken you know where you stand better.

I'm a little confused now. The resistor number you mentioned is on the other side of the board and nowhere near where you marked. The other side of that is one of the crystals, I presume it's a crystal. IMG_20220803_194400.thumb.jpg.6c9fc2d053e864bb7602dbc8bf08a097.jpg

I believe he's referring to the pin-in-hole solder joint above C30 which looks like it has maybe come apart.

Not sure what those 2 (includes the one above C31) are part of on the other side (could well be crystals X1 and X2) but no harm to resolder and to remove any odd stray solder fragments like the one near U1 and checking that no others are around between pins on the PIC or other components.

Edited by DaveL59

5 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I believe he's referring to the pin-in-hole solder joint above C30 which looks like it has maybe come apart.

Not sure what those 2 (includes the one above C31) are part of on the other side but no harm resolder and to remove any odd stray solder fragments like the one near U1 and checking that no others are around between pins on the PIC or other components.

This is the other side, the crystal on the right is the one on the flip side of that areaIMG_20220803_201323.thumb.jpg.7e7672a19f150f166cd15d4bd3dfe52d.jpg

18 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I got my perspective back to front. Either way these two terminals need re soldering. The size of the tracking and terminals indicates that they have a load and are not merely switching.

53E883CB-76A4-40BB-A2AE-143B41ABDD7C.jpeg.717f2aa3aa3b348bc11eb95fdffbcf19.jpeg

no load if its a crystal on the other side but agree a resolder would be worth it. If one joint has failed then the crystal may no longer be doing its job. Modern lead-free solder isn't all that great huh 😞 

1 minute ago, DaveL59 said:

no load if its a crystal on the other side but agree a resolder would be worth it. If one joint has failed then the crystal may no longer be doing its job. Modern lead-free solder isn't all that great huh 😞 

I have no idea what is behind these two terminals as I have never seen this board before and it’s nigh impossible to ascertain these things from a photo. They have definitely grossly overheated causing the solder to melt and run off. Nothing to lose by re soldering them and checking everywhere else to ensure that no pieces of solder is causing shorts.

2 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have no idea what is behind these two terminals as I have never seen this board before and it’s nigh impossible to ascertain these things from a photo. They have definitely grossly overheated causing the solder to melt and run off. Nothing to lose by re soldering them and checking everywhere else to ensure that no pieces of solder is causing shorts.

It's definitely a crystal, nothing else around it in the other side. I'll get some fresh flux and give it a go. 

C30 and C31 are the two caps for the X2 crystal.  They connect between the crystal and ground (0 volt) -  there is no high current through these pins so what you are looking at is just a less than perfect solder joint.

It's worth reflowing the two joints on each crystal as without it then the PIC won't run, and as the clock cycles are used for the UART timing that would affect the communications and possibly give the "no response" message/

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Would a new board improve guiding? Best guiding of my life tonight, and of course my imaging camera is suffering with frost/condensation. 

image.thumb.png.63f46fcfc88b48e6d28b752607f7103b.png

Superb, but you should really use arcseconds and not pixels for your guide graph, it will give you a much clearer idea of how good it really is….