Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New stellalyra dobsonian focus tube problem

9 hours ago, col said:

I'm just in from a good session with the SL 8" Dob. 

Again I focused on saturn as it was the first to appear at approximately 22.30 in my viewing area, and again was good but not as good as the last time with what seemed like a little hazy looking sky. 

I also tried the Stellalyra 2" 30mm eyepiece again and  found it was able to identify Saturn's shape nicely this time, why it wouldn't last time I don't know. But this time it was fine. 

I then used my Tal 25 mm with the 2x Barlow as that seems to be the sweet spot for planets with my Dob. 

Again it was good but not as clear as last time, but I enjoyed the view for a while. Then trying the Stellalyra 9mm that came with the scope I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the view was. Possibly not as sharp as the 25mm  and the 2x Barlow but not much at all in it. 

By this time I decided to nip in and grab a coffee and decide what to go for next. 

Deciding the Andromeda galaxy was my next target i put the 25mm and 2x Barlow in and took a guess at where it was in relation to cassiopiea. And with a stroke of luck had it in my eyepiece within seconds. 

My first deep sky object, I was chuffed to bits. 

Thinking that less is better for deep sky i popped the 2" 30 mm stellalyra in and found M31 again easily. This time I could see more of a difference with the inner and outer fuzzy blob, with it being slightly lighter in the seemingly centre of the galaxy. 

But also what I noticed with averted vision at first and by accident, as I was concentrating on M31, was a smaller fuzzy blob not far from M31, but showed up near the edge of my field of view with the 30mm in. 

On looking it up on Redshift, it seems its m110, an elliptical galaxy that I only noticed accidentally at first. 

So now I have my first two deep sky objects, which I'm over the moon with, no pun intended. 

By this time it was after midnight and I was thinking of packing up as I could see a bank of clouds heading my way. 

But just as I walked to the other side of the garden, just to see how much clear sky was left, Jupiter popped up from behind the house roof. 

I had to lift the dob and base to place it at the other side of the garden where I could see Jupiter, which isn't too difficult to do. 

My favourite 25 mm and the 2x Barlow went in and I got a cracking view of jupiter with even more detail than last time. 

I easily saw the Orange bands and can only put that down to thin whisps of cloud dimming jupiter slightly and acting like a filter. 

Iv not seen the great red spot yet, but I'll be keeping my eye open on that one. 

Unfortunately Jupiter got dimmer and dimmer as the clouds got thicker, so it was time to call it a night. 

I must say the three hours ish I was out tonight were very enjoyable and can't wait for the next clear sky. 

Next time I'll have a couple of deep sky objects in mind to try and find, fingers crossed. 

Sounds like you had a very good night.  

1 hour ago, Mike Q said:

Sounds like you had a very good night.  

It was a great night Mike Q, but even with my dob on a small table I was still bent over with everything being so low other than M31. 

I need to seriously think about an observation chair of somesort as my back was aching like hell. 

After an observing session, however long, or brief, I am always left with a feeling of peace, contentment and happiness. On very clear nights I am often filled with an almost spiritual  feeling - just me and the universe.

it’s wonderful.

Mike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrMike said:

After an observing session, however long, or brief, I am always left with a feeling of peace, contentment and happiness. On very clear nights I am often filled with an almost spiritual  feeling - just me and the universe.

it’s wonderful.

Mike.

Yeah DrMike I find it a great escape  as I'm  that focused , again no pun intended , that there is nothing else in my mind at all except what I'm looking at or trying to look at.

• Like 1

Ok guys, I decided to do a comparison with my Tal100r tonight, to see how it performs against the dob, here's my findings. 

Using the same combination of eye pieces and Barlow as I did with the dob I found the Tal lacking due to its light grabbing ability. 

The views were similar but slightly smaller and dull in comparison. 

That doesn't mean it's not useful, it just means the Tal is relagated to being my grab and go. 

But the dob has impressed me so that it will be probably the only scope I'll be using for the long clear nights ahead. 

The next thing I want is a good 12mm and good 2x Barlow. 

This would I feel improve things over my 25 in the Barlow for 12.5 power. 

But I'd happily be corrected if I'm mistaken in this thought. 

Those and what I have would basically be my ideal set of eye pieces. 

But any advice and tips are most welcome to help me make the final decision. 

Cheers guys 

I'm a little excited now as theres a two or more hours window where I can see the moon from about nine tonight.

It will be my Dob's  first light for the Moon, or first Moonlight.

I'm planning ahead as the sky is supposed to be clear at the times I can see it, so have a table in the position of the garden ready to place the Dob on. The Moon is very low so I need the extra height to clear the kitchen roof.

I'm looking forward to tonight more than any other .

I'll report back after , I might even have the odd picture if I'm lucky.

Now before you turn that dob loose on the moon.... Do you have a moon filter?  The moon is bright, very bright.  Bright enough to be uncomfortable to look at.  Not saying you can't look at it, but without a filter it isnt all that much fun.  

14 hours ago, Mike Q said:

Now before you turn that dob loose on the moon.... Do you have a moon filter?  The moon is bright, very bright.  Bright enough to be uncomfortable to look at.  Not saying you can't look at it, but without a filter it isnt all that much fun.  

I do indeed Mike, it came with my Tal 100r many moons ago 😁 

And what a great view it was, until the clouds came in earlier than expected. 

After trying all combinations of eye peices, the Barlow with the moon filter and without it, I was genuinly amazed at the extra detail that seemed to show it self. 

I was particularly taken when looking at the rayed crater and flat areas. The detail seemed to pop out to me. Usually the flat areas look just flat. What a difference. 

I tried the SL9mm in the 2x Barlow, and considering the low level with wispy clouds it didn't look as sharp as the 20mm in the Barlow, but not bad at all considering the not great seeing. 

My favourite view was the SL9mm and the plossle 10mm I got with the Tal 100r, they were both very crisp.

And to just enjoy the view again, the 25mm and the 2x Barlow was a lovely sight. 

The one I didn't try was the SL 30 two inch eye piece, my reasoning was it's going to similar to the 25mm, but I will give it a go tonight anyway just to compare. 

I'm thinking of getting an upgrade on the Barlow, as this was a cheap one years ago. And I don't really see the need for another eye peice, unless you can suggest one and why, as with what I have theres plenty for planets and lunar, and the two inch 30 and the 1.25 inch 25 will do me for deep sky I'm thinking. 

So the only real different I can make I think is with a good 2x barlo to maybe improve the sharpness a little? 

But, as always, I'm open to suggestions and advice on this.