Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daytime Jupiter - 7th July

Mikey0368

I like a challenge 😆 ..........

Jupiter at 8.27am on 7th July from Edinburgh, accompanied by Europa on the left and Io on the right.  Taken with a StellaLyra 8" Classical Cassegrain and ZWO ASI224MC with ZWO 850nm IR Pass filter. Captured using FireCapture, stacked in AS!3 and processed using Registax6 and GIMP.

I've taken daytime pics of Jupiter before but this is the first time I've managed to get any of the moons.  I was surprised to see them!

Jupiter-0827.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Great pic!

I managed to locate Saturn once while still light. I knew its rough location and was waiting for dark to observe. I was shocked at how much detail was visible.

I have often wondered about viewing planets in the day time but imagine it would be a very hard task!

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Great pic!

I managed to locate Saturn once while still light. I knew its rough location and was waiting for dark to observe. I was shocked at how much detail was visible.

I have often wondered about viewing planets in the day time but imagine it would be a very hard task!

Mercury and Venus are best viewed in daylight, locating Mercury in particular during daylight can be difficult, especially when the magnitude is fainter than zero.

I use old fashioned setting circles in conjunction with a sidereal clock to locate. Although I do have an actual sidereal clock, I actually use an app on my phone now to obtain sidereal time rather than the clock, as it is more accurate. 

This method does however require a well aligned equatorial mount, and accurate setting circles. 

John    

Siderial Clock.JPG

Edited by johnturley