Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bino Session Tonight - 20 March 2009

Hi there - a clear night meant a chance to get out and have a look at the spring/late winter sky. I was using a pair of 9x63 Meade binos, bought off SGL. I have been using a pair of Meade/Lidl 10x50s for a long time, which are good, but I wanted a bit more light grasp. They're quite big binoculars, with long lens barrels, but for all that, easy to handle and not too heavy to hold up.

Main objects included:

M44 Praesepe - one of my favourite clusters at the heart of the Cancer constellation;

M67 - a bit further south, near alpha Cnc, another open cluster but just a (large) smudge

The head of the Hydra - a ring of stars well defined in the binos;

M35 - a good cluster, at the foot of the Twins, just resolveable with averted vision;

M38, 36, 37 - the wonderful triple set of clusters in Perseus. All three clearly visible tonight. I sometimes find M37 a bit elusive;

M45 - the Pleaides - this spectacle in Taurus never disappoints in scope or binos. These larger binos pick up plenty of the fainter stars;

Hyades and Aldebaran - a great sprawling cluster in Taurus that is brilliant in binos. The full impact tends to be lost in scopes;

M42, 43 etc in Orion - looking great in larger binos, with a good hint of greenish nebulosity. Very nice, even though the sky wasn't great;

M34 in Perseus - easily picked up and just resolveable with averted vision;

The cluster around alpha Per looked great with loops of stars;

M31 - the Andromeda Galaxy a dull smudge, just visible, sinking lower each night. Best wait for this great sight in the autumn;

Finally, the Double Cluster in Perseus - a great sight, with the larger binos showing plenty of the less bright stars in the field.

Thanks for reading.

Ed

A very nice report Ed.

I love M36-37-38 in Auriga. These are my favourites during the last part of Winter.

While I'm in M45 I like to see how the little triangle of stars look near Alcyone.

Good to see you enjoyed yourseld with a little bit more aperture.7mm exit pupil from a 5mm exit pupil,sure helps with younger eyes.

Thanks again Ed.

Glen.

Thanks for that Ed, sounds like you had a great time.:) Love your comments regarding the Hyades, btw.. well said!:D

Next time you get a chance, check out the smileyface near M38 in AUR.. that big gap-toothed grin makes me laugh every time. :)

post-13732-133877361534_thumb.jpg

post-13732-133877361537_thumb.jpg

Lovely report Ed, I think I might take a few from the list to have a go at the next time I have a night under the stars :) I have only recently had my first glimpse of M31, unfortunately it is sinking fast so I will have to wait until Autumn like yourself to have a good look. I'd agree with Talitha - your comments on the Hyades hit the nail right on the head!

Talitha - I have never noticed the smiley face before, it has brought such a smile to my face I will have to look out for it next time. Something to impress my mum and sister with I think!

Amanda

Hi Amanda - you should be able to see all of these objects with 10x50s. On a good night in the autumn, winter, M31 will be very be very clear. It is best seen in a dark sky, with good transparent conditions.

All the best

Ed

Archived